• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking an entire network server rack

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Devin_Mei

Devin Mei from Silicon Valley here and boy do I have a question for you tech guys out there. Any suggestions for extreme cooling procedures for a server room where every server in our network will have to be overclocked for 3 days. Extreme but safe procedures a plus.

:welcome: to the forums.

Is your server room already cooled?

Our server room has two wall mounted AC units with condensers on the roof. One is a backup in the event the first fails.

If I needed more cooling I would just turn on the second unit.

If you already have AC, let it run. Adding internal cooling to rack mounted server for only three days seems silly. If your ACs have trouble or you don't have AC (and you do have windows) then look for some cheap or used but working window units. Also, what kind of servers are these and what kind of OCing will you be doing? In my experience OEM servers don't offer any overclocking options and neither do many other boards made for real servers. If thats the case and you're relying on software to do it then you probably won't have a noticeable heat increase but maybe some instability due to not being able to up the voltage.

If you already have AC, let it run. Adding internal cooling to rack mounted server for only three days seems silly. If your ACs have trouble or you don't have AC (and you do have windows) then look for some cheap or used but working window units. Also, what kind of servers are these and what kind of OCing will you be doing? In my experience OEM servers don't offer any overclocking options and neither do many other boards made for real servers. If thats the case and you're relying on software to do it then you probably won't have a noticeable heat increase but maybe some instability due to not being able to up the voltage.

Devin Mei here yea so to answer some of your questions we did turned up the AC and used some new cooling measures. We also did alot of modding of the actual hardware.

Well... thats interesting. Perhaps some pics and a better description? Also, are these just some spare servers? It seems odd you would be allowed to modify them internally and over clock them.

Back