• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

reboot

:soda:

Im thinking of getting rid of my desktop, for a decent laptop.

so far in my price range of around a grand this is what Im looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834117939

SONY VAIO FW Series VGN-FW463J/H NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8700(2.53GHz) 16.4" 4GB Memory DDR2 800 320GB HDD 7200rpm Dual layer DVD Burner ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650

or

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668240.php

Gateway P7807U FX Notebook PC - Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HDD, DVDRW, 17 WXGA+, Vista Home Premium 64.

The only other thing I'm thinking of is there are these new asus K series laptops with the 4860 ATI gpu thats supposed to be pretty good too. The viaos seems like it has a better cpu screen and keyboard, the gateway seems like its got better ram and gpu, and might be better for games, but may also be less travel worthy. Both seem to have about the same battery life i think, around 2-3 hrs.

I honestly wish I could find a 13" with a decent video card, for around a grand, the viao Z series looked good, but are expensive and I doubt they have a strong enough video card.

I want portability and the option of playing a game or too at home so I think that the video cards I have picked out here are about as low as I can go in performance.

I'm in no rush at all and wanted to know if anyone had any ideas or insights?

Please let me know!

Watch the Dell Outlet for a good deal on a loaded Studio XPS 16 (1640). I grabbed one for a grand and I couldn't be happier. It has the Intel Core 2 Duo P9550 2.66GHz 1066MHz FSB w/6MB Cache, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3, 320GB 7200rpm HDD w/free fall sensor, Combo DVDRW & BluRay reader, ATI Mobility Radeon 3670 512MB, 15.6" WLED 1366x768, Vista Home Premium 64-Bit w/free upgrade to Windows 7. The only sacrifice I made was in not getting a 900p or 1080p screen.

The thing with the outlet is that they are already built/configured, so you have to wait til one shows up with the configuration that you want. And when it does, you better hop on it fast because the outlet inventory turns pretty fast. If you can find what you're looking for, you'll get a helluva deal on it.

Have you checked out MSI's range? They all have turbo buttons, which overclock the cpu 16-24% (selected in BIOS) along with memory instantly on or off. It is useful as my 2.53Ghz core 2 duo can run at over 3Ghz, and is faster than my friend's E8400 at stock.
1080p is nice on a screen, but laptop monitors are small anyway and even 1680x1050 on a 17" is fine.

cool advicw Ill check out the outlet and keep an eye out for something good, and i'll also look at MSI too

My advice, having done desktop and laptop recently:

Don't.

Or if you do, expect to pay 3x-4x as much as for a desktop with the same performance. Except for video, i haven't seen a laptop break 21k 3dmark06 yet, seen 20k out of $5000 alienware pieces with 2x4870m's and a quad core.
The asus linked above for instance, is a 1066fsb 2ghz chip with 3mb l2. Decently fast in laptop land, but slower then anything >$50 in desktopland.

There are some things that a laptop is really, really good for, but if you don't need one i advise staying in desktopland. Desktops last longer too, laptops tend to eat it after 2-4 years, where a desktop can be upgraded (or fixed) one relatively cheap chunk at a time.

If you do buy one, Asus has an excellent reputation, and i highly recommend notebookreview.com, they really know their laptops over there. They know laptops like we know OCing, essentially.

Back