• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Soyo p41 FireDragon Needs Videocard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wade57

I have a Soyo p41 FireDragon Gaming pc.I was wondering what kind of video card will fit? one that will play some of the latest type pc games.It has an old nvida type card in it GF TI4200 8X64 agp.Can someone direct me to a site that has one that will fit.I really like the tower and all the fans and lights.Got at Sale for $75. Thank you for any replies.

What CPU do you have in there? I'd reccomend a AGP HD3650 or a HD3850. If you CPU won't bottleneck a higher end car dyou could probably get a HD4650 AGP.

What CPU do you have in there? I'd reccomend a AGP HD3650 or a HD3850. If you CPU won't bottleneck a higher end car dyou could probably get a HD4650 AGP.
It has a Socket 478 Connector
Intel i845 North Bridge Chip With AGO PRO slot and 6 pci slots it says in the pdf manual that they are ddr but the pci slots are blue.Thank You BlueMax.

So what speed is your CPU? I would highly recommend you check your PSU wattage and 12volt AMP ratings then post back here.

oh, and :welcome: to O/C forums.

So what speed is your CPU? I would highly recommend you check your PSU wattage and 12volt AMP ratings then post back here.

oh, and :welcome: to O/C forums.
I have PSU ATX-350W P-4 12 volt.+3.5 max +1.5 Switching power supply.Thank You jmdixon85.

I'm not sure what you mant in your last post. You AMP ratings should be on a sticker like this:

psu2.jpg

We need to know the +12 AMP rating (The above PSU is 20Amp). Unless it's a good quality 350watt PSU you will most likely need a new PSU before you upgrade your video card.

I'm not sure what you mant in your last post. You AMP ratings should be on a sticker like this:

psu2.jpg

We need to know the +12 AMP rating (The above PSU is 20Amp). Unless it's a good quality 350watt PSU you will most likely need a new PSU before you upgrade your video card.
(The +12 AMP rating is 15AMP)

You will need a new PSU before you upgrade. Ati say the 3650 requires a 450watt PSU with 30Amp on the 12volt rail. You should be able to get away with a bit less with a high quality PSU. It would be pointless spend a small fortune on a PSU for a old rig, I would recommend a Antec PSU around the 500watt mark.

Maybe this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371004
Thank You Very Much.I would like to know were i can get a AGP PRO DDR Graphics Card.It doesn't look like a regular agp slot.

Don't worry about it. A regular AGP card will work too. I know what a AGP Pro slot is but I can't say I've ever seen a AGP PRO card??? lol

It has a Socket 478 Connector
Intel i845 North Bridge Chip With AGO PRO slot and 6 pci slots it says in the pdf manual that they are ddr but the pci slots are blue.Thank You BlueMax.

Nope. Garbage time.
You won't be able to play ANY current games at anywhere near a respectable framerate.

The best card for your slot is a 3850- but in AGP and paired with a 478 it runs more like an X1600... if you're lucky.

Recycle, reduce, reuse, and buy a new computer. DO NOT UPGRADE THIS SYSTEM. You clearly don't understand how restrictive your CPU and BUS are. It's garbage by today's standards.
Most laptops today with a mobile graphics chip could murder your computer, no matter what you do to it.

Nope. Garbage time.
You won't be able to play ANY current games at anywhere near a respectable framerate.

The best card for your slot is a 3850- but in AGP and paired with a 478 it runs more like an X1600... if you're lucky.

Recycle, reduce, reuse, and buy a new computer. DO NOT UPGRADE THIS SYSTEM. You clearly don't understand how restrictive your CPU and BUS are. It's garbage by today's standards.
Most laptops today with a mobile graphics chip could murder your computer, no matter what you do to it.

Yes the OP's system is what you say "Garbage" but if their's a high-end P4 in his system he could still play some of the newer games ok. I mean he could have a P4 3.4 HT in thier for all we know. So I ask again, What speed CPU do you have?

I do agree that the best option would be to retire this PC as you will be restricted by that single core CPU. You would still be able to play games like, GRID, Call of duty WAW (and below), UT3 and many others at decent settings with a high end P4. Just don't expect to play GTA:4 and a few other that are dual/quad core depended.

Last edited:
Doesn't really matter, a 775 P4 at 4ghz with DDR2 ram at 449mhz can't even keep a 4830 decently fed(loses 5k 3dmark06's compared to a 2.5ghz e5200). A 478 P4 with DDR just isn't going to be able to feed a 38xx card.

Now a 3850 would beat the hell out of a ti4200, no doubt about that at all.

Personally, i would save your cash right now until you can plunk down $400 or so for a low(ish) end modern gaming box.

Doesn't really matter, a 775 P4 at 4ghz with DDR2 ram at 449mhz can't even keep a 4830 decently fed(loses 5k 3dmark06's compared to a 2.5ghz e5200). A 478 P4 with DDR just isn't going to be able to feed a 38xx card.

Now a 3850 would beat the hell out of a ti4200, no doubt about that at all.

Personally, i would save your cash right now until you can plunk down $400 or so for a low(ish) end modern gaming box.
Thanks Guys i havent bench marked this pc all i know is i installed oblivion and it plays fast.You can set everthing in the Bios.I know it is direct x8 the color is washed out on the old card.I was thinking if i could get a direct9 compatable Vcard it would work.This pc has a huge tower its tall black and has a boat load of fans one of them are double adjustable.Proble 8 fans in all.As soon as i can get to it again i will check ho fast this thing can run.It says 1.5v vga only in manual. Thanks Again.

With the 845 chipset, that is not going to be one of the "faster" P4's.

If it was an 865 or 875 motherboard then you would have dual channel memory and
HT cpu options and it might be worth spending a few bucks on.

I have a spare desktop with the 845 chipset. It runs win98 and older games very well....

Well its not really "garbage", I know my Socket 478 "Main Rig" still plays GRiD and other games on high settings.

Back