• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are x58 sata 3 motherboards hitting soon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mas5acre

I noticed the ga-ex58-extreme was deactivated from newegg, high end mobos usually get the newest features first on an already established chipset, so is sata 3 around the corner?

i ahve seen an asrock i think. but . . . it is a psie 1x card, which isn't fast enough for even 1 sata 3 drive

1'st thing, there are no SATA3 drives available at present. Secondly the i5 based boards will not have it this year unless it is a 3'rd party chipset. The first viable 3'rd party chipset has had problems and so most mainboard makers have skipped it and decided to release their products without SATA3. Asrock has promised a PCIE SATA3 addin board to its customers based on the revised 3'rd party SATA 3 controller.

So as it stands, no SATA 3 integration in Intel's chipsets til next year with new revisions which will probably have USB3 as well.

Only Asrock is likely to have SATA 3 in the initial i5 boards all others will be next year or late this year with new mainboard variants.

No SATA 3 drives are available and even when they are it will be a while before they can make use of the extra bandwidth.............. unless you plan on having some fast SSD drives.

^^ yup sata 3 and usb 3.0 we both pushed far back
should be available on most late i5 boards/ late 1366 boards (for i9 q1 2010 )

Back