• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Turns off during dvd burning...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr3@k3r

recently been trying to burn some dvd's and after a few minutes the laptop will just turn off, it wont turn right back on either... it will try to turn than go off instantly... it takes about a good minute before it will turn back on..

signs of it overheating?

its a HP Pavillion DV6110us with 2GB ram and opteron dual core..

BTW its been a long time since my last post!

I'd say overheating or the optical drive is wonky. Have you blown the dust out of the vents recently?

My AMD dual core laptop does the same crap. It's an Acer and it seems they build the bios to never kick the fans up to full speed. It overheats if you try to do anything that requires 100% of both cores. :cry:

My AMD dual core laptop does the same crap. It's an Acer and it seems they build the bios to never kick the fans up to full speed. It overheats if you try to do anything that requires 100% of both cores. :cry:

You wouldn't happen to be on XP with a laptop that was originally Vista, would you?

There is an AHCI driver required for fan control on some Acer laptops, when i nuked vista on my dads intel acer the fan just flat turned off, it never ran at all. For bonus points, he was stuck in EIST mode too.

Try updating the BIOS, some HP laptops have such critical updates that can enable the fan to over ride the thermal algorithm and just run at fullspeed.

You wouldn't happen to be on XP with a laptop that was originally Vista, would you?

There is an AHCI driver required for fan control on some Acer laptops, when i nuked vista on my dads intel acer the fan just flat turned off, it never ran at all. For bonus points, he was stuck in EIST mode too.

Try updating the BIOS, some HP laptops have such critical updates that can enable the fan to over ride the thermal algorithm and just run at fullspeed.

It does it under Ubuntu. I still have Vista, XP, and Ubuntu on there. Under XP and Vista I loaded up CoreTemp and P95. The temp climbs to like 98*C, then it throttles both cores to 1Ghz (stock is 2Ghz) and the temp plummets to the 75-80*C range. It does the initial speed drop in Ubuntu, then once it cools off it throttles back up until it overheats, then doesn't throttle down a second time.

So, it is a bios issue, but Acer refuses to fix it, and yes, it IS the lastest version. This is a **** poor way of controlling temps, I didn't buy it expecting I could only use 1Ghz per core at full load. :bang head

On my dads it was lacking the proper ACPI driver and therefor wouldn't turn the fan on.
If you're out of warranty i'd take the bottom cover panels off and see if the fan is plugged in.

Found this thread on Google when I searched my problem, and I find it relevant. I have Nero 11 and my laptop (Toshiba Satellite A665-S6080) starts overheating immediately once the software begins to burn a DVD. After about a half hour or more of burning, it just shuts down. I guess it does this automatically when it detects overheating. I don't know. Should I just bring it to Geek Squad and say it has overheating problems? My BIOS is up to date, and I know it's overheating because the bottom is burning hot after a while. The CPU usage is around 90% during the burning process, too.

capturesr.png

Meh. Toshiba. Never liked them because of stuff like this.

Take it to someplace to be repaired. It sounds like a loose heatsink. Have you looked at Core temp while you're burning? Or run Prime 95? You can try Toshiba customer service, but apparently their CS is as bad as their products... (I'm a Toshiba hater)

Back