• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard installation problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZachB

Hi, new user here, hope you all can help out with this one.

I'm trying to install an Asus P6T v2 into a Cooler Master 840 case (the big aluminum monster with the slide-out motherboard tray.) So far, I have the MB mounts installed and the I/O shield. However, when I drop the motherboard in and attempt to line it up with a) the mounts, and b) the holes in the I/O shield, the holes at the top are just about 1/4" (or less) out of line.

I'm able to apply some pressure to the MB to get it aligned, but it doesn't feel like that's what I should be doing. I've doublechecked the positions of the mounts, and checked that the MB fits properly without the I/O shield. The padding on that seems to be the one thing keeping the MB from sitting in there properly - is there any reason why I couldn't rip out the padding? In fact (just looked at it again), it's starting to fray at one end already...

Thanks, and apologies if this has been answered already - a quick search didn't find anything, which tells me that this question hasn't been asked before, or I shouldn't be using searches (and assembling computers!) late at night.

I wouldn't rip the padding off the I/O shield, after all - you shouldn't have to. Can you post some pics to help us out??

Oh, and :welcome: to O/C Forums

Seems odd, you should be able to push that into the padding slightly and get it to line up.

Is the I/O shield pushed all the way into the case like it should be fully before you try installing the MOBO ? It should take a little bit of pressure to get it seated in the opening all the way.

I could never get the IO shield in when I had everything in my Rocketfish case. I messed with that thing for twenty minutes and it would not snap into place. I just gave up and left it out. I have an Antec Skeleton now which doesn't use an IO late.

Back