• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Runcore Experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

Don't really have a lot to say other than WOW.

Im running a hp 2710p Tablet pc and there arent a lot of options for fast drives for them that use the zif interface or the 1.8" form factor.
the Mtron was a nice drive but expensive and just not good value considering this runcore drive cost me $139 usd on pre order. the mtron was $239 usd + shipping for the same space.
Mtron is SLC, runcore is MLC and the mtron is faster tin sequential read/write but the runcore is half the price and not that much slower really.

so here's what you get in the box.

ssd2.jpg

the ssd, some stickers, small screwdrivers for opening a lappy, and a nice little external enclosure for your old drive.

the numbers:
ssd.jpg

fresh install of windows 7 with all windows updates and most of my apps installed. photoshop, lightroom, office ect. 10gb remaining free.

just wanted to share my hapiness with others who may have been turned off by the controller issues with the older runcore drives. these new pro IV drives look very appealing, but ill post back here after some extensive use of the computer.

overall, night and day difference. boots in 30 seconds to desktop, another 30 seconds to load all the apps i installed, photoshop ect, and all the little random farts and perfomance dives are completely gone.

thats nice to know, just my experience, nothing to bog you down :)
Even i had the same excitement when i got the Core V2 SSD, it was all good and amazing till about 2 months, and now all is slowed down, CC cleaner dosent help and now am planning on a 150GB raptor for win 7 around Oct 22 :(

I havent noticed any severe os stutter yet. though sometimes installing programs hangs for a second before it actually copy's the files. i dunno if this is an ssd thing or a windows thing as 7 is still pretty new.
I might do a clone of my windows 7 setup and then do an xp install to do some other benches, but im liking the tablet functions of 7 so much ill definitely move to it for that. my desktop can stay xp.

overall system responsiveness is very nice though. considering this is a 1.2ghz c2d ULV its zippier overall than my 4 ghz c2d desktop ha.

i might pick up a sata drive to mess with on the desktop at some point, but my laptop, being a 1.8" needed it asap hah.

initially there was no stutter and usage was a breeze, even when installing photoshop, i was able to open up a program and browse "mycomputer", but now i notice a lag when am trying to do simple stuff,

Have installed win7 RC on my Acer 1100 notebook, and not seeing such issues.

alright. week in. so far so good. though i have had a couple bsods related to recovering from hibernate.. dunno if thats ssd related or not so ill keep an eye out. Disabled hibernate and just run on suspend now. machine is never run down enough for it to be an issue, and shutting down/restarting takes less than a minute. almost as long as hibernate lol.

aite. so second week in, and i got another bsod when recovering from suspend. I dunno if this is an ssd issue, or ram issue or what.. anyone have any suggestions? its very a very random thing might just be a 7 quirk too.

Cant install xp seemingly though... gets to the point where you can choose to install it and then bsods.

Cant install xp seemingly though... gets to the point where you can choose to install it and then bsods.

I've had two friends tell me they were unable to revert from 7 to XP with desktop computers and full size drives (SATA I's no less).
I haven't seen that issue, and have reverted twice, but I use Seagate's drive utilities to wipe the drive and update the Master Boot Record before I swap OS's, no matter which OS I'm moving to.
Just an old habit of mine to avoid dormant boot record virii, I buy Seagate drives so the utility works great for me.
:shrug:

My guess would be that 7 writes funky code in the MBR. I'm no engineer, I'm more of a crash test dummy. I don't even know if those virii exist anymore.

Last edited:
where can i get that intel ssd cleaner app? i was looking around on google for it and couldn't find it. apparently restores your ssd to new state.
im not really in a hurry to do up xp, but im expecting a baby in march and its unlikely ill be spending ANY money on computer crap including a new os before that. so kinda wanna get an xp image on this machine to change over to when 7 decides to stop working.

I guess worst case i can run the vista it came with but that would be brutal on 32gb ssd.

its possible your mac couldnt see it because runcore ships these in slave mode for whatever reason. mydigitialdiscount sent me an email a few days later showing me how to open the drive and set it back to master by removing a resistor from it. seems silly lol but might help you on the mac front.

im glad zif is so forgiving though. i plugged it in backwards once and nothing happened, i guess nothing can, since the connectors are only on one side of the port.

i never did get to try cloning since my hdd failed and i couldnt make a windows backup, let alone a acronis clone. but not that you have win 7 running, make a system image to recover from. i do this once a week now .gonna try wiping the ssd clean and recovering the image to see if it makes a difference in performance.

good to see another happy runcore user. and the 128... jealous lol. I MIGHT buy a 64 but with cheap sdhc dunno if i need it really.

Back