• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Netbooks/notebooks with serial ports?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ninety-9 SE-L

I'm working on some new projects that involve logic controllers and RS-232 interface. I'm considering a really cheap notebook or a netbook to do my programming.

I don't care how low the specs are, so long as the battery life is decent and it can run XP, otherwise, something really cheap. Serial to USB adaptors are very hit and miss and I prefer something on the main board.

I've been going around the place and here's the only laptop I have with a serial port:
DSC01750.jpg

Hello,

We was having this problem at work a while ago. Unfortunatly we couldnt find one at all which was brand new. We do have some dell D600 series which have serial ports. Other than that we have to use usb -> serial port.

Good luck though, if you find a brand new laptop with one on please let me know :)!

Hello,
Good luck though, if you find a brand new laptop with one on please let me know :)!

Did you try Dell ?
Dell continue to sell laptops with serial ports to this very day. I have a E5500 which is a product that is still for sale and available in some countrys.

Dell Latitude E5500 Laptop on the US site

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop_latitude_e5500?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

Taken from tech specs :

Ports:
IEEE-1394, docking connector, USB 2.0 (x4), VGA, S-Video, RJ-11 (optional), RJ-45, Serial, headphone/speaker out, mic

Yep, Dell I think are the only ones who still sell with serial ports.

Didnt know that the new range did, thanks for that info.

Most people that want to use serial in a laptop just use the RJ-11 port.

Might I ask why you still program with RS-232 and don't use an FTDI chip or anything? They don't put 232 in a PCs these day for a reason.

Serial Port

Just a note.
Dell is still making Laptops with serial ports.
I just purchased a new one from them for that reason.
I got the E5510 with i3 core M350, 2GB Ram, 160GB Hard drive, Windows 7.
You can customize it up more, I didn't this was fine for me.

HP Probook has Serial port

As of Sept 7th, 2011. The HP Probook 6555b is still made by HP and has a serial port. I work in IT for an engineering company and all the guys who deal with Mitsubishi, or use dataq or codesys type of programs pretty much demand a native serial port on their laptops.

not sure if you noticed that this thread has been dead for about a year and a half...

But how else can people pad their post counts to get classifieds access? :rofl:

fwiw, I think adding info like this to older threads is useful since the search engine will turn up the results for someone looking for these answers...

Funny how this thread is still going, I haven't been with that company for almost a year and a half, it's pointless for me to care anymore. My new company uses Lenovo exclusively and they interface with PLCs exclusively through ethernet.

I have no problem with people resurrecting a thread as long as it is still relevant and continued discussion can continue.

Back