• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling help with multiple GPU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jrmacartney

Hi Guys,

Hope someone can give me an idea on a setup.

I have an EVGA Classified Mobo, Intel I7 975, 12gb ram, Solid state HD, 2 X GTX 295's.

I have 2 black ice radiators, 1 3x120, 1 2x120, 1 pump Danger den 1200lph, cpu block, north/south and mosfet from koolance, and each GTX 295 has a koolance block.

What i don't know is if it would be ok to do my loop as follows :

Pump->CPU->Mosfet->N/S Bridge->(2x120m radiator)->GTX 295 1->GTX 295 2->(3x120 radiator)->back through pump

Not sure if this will be the optimal set up.

Any help or ideas is appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Usually with setups that have multiple items, the best route would be the shortest. Minimize the tubing as best as you can, while trying to achieve high radius turns with the tubing to avoid pinching. When you have sufficient flow rate, then the change in temperature at any give point will have a difference (delta) of a degree at most. Please post pics when done. We like pics. Welcome.

Usually with setups that have multiple items, the best route would be the shortest. Minimize the tubing as best as you can, while trying to achieve high radius turns with the tubing to avoid pinching. When you have sufficient flow rate, then the change in temperature at any give point will have a difference (delta) of a degree at most. Please post pics when done. We like pics. Welcome.

+1

doesn't really matter, make it the shortest you can without kinks.

You need two loops. Your short on rads. Your short on pumpage for all of that. Two loops otherwise once it's all together you'll be tearing it all apart and making two loops. The GPU loop needs at a MIN a 120x3. The CPU loop and all the other Mobo cooling needs a 120x3 at a min. Might look at better quality rads unless those are the new, good SR1 series.

How much do you know about heatload and what radiators can cool? Also the imprtant word about Water delta temps vs loop effiency. And flow rates, what is good, and what is poor? Please slow down, learn a bit first.

Agreed. That is a bit too much for one loop, especially with that pump. If you ran series MCP355s or MCP655s, you would probably be able to run all of that in one loop.

I definitely do not suggest running a single loop on all of that though. Cooling a CPU, NB, SB, 2x MOSFET banks and no less than four GPU cores in one loop is not advisable.

So, you could run two pumps & two reserviors....however, a better, more economical option would be to run one MCP655 + a Primochill Typhoon III (link to Skinnee's review) and accomplish running two adequate loops with one pump. That is the only way I'll ever suggest two loops off of one pump, so don't even consider splitting your loop with Y adapters, it won't perform up to par.

Which Black Ice rads do you have with which fans? Conumdrum is correct, but only partially (IMHO). The higher end BI rads below the SR1 series are great and cool on par or even better than others....but at the cost of having to run strong fans and running them loud enough to be annoying. Noise levels being equal, there are better options than BI unless we're talking about the SR1 series he mentioned.

Great radiator and will perform just fine as long as you put a fair bit of air through it. Should cool either of the two recommended loops fine.

Bump to the top. The forum put your post at the top of the thread and dated it in 2004 (thanks to I.M.O.G for locating it), thus burying it far below. Didn't want you to think it was deleted or anything.

Back on topic; I'm not concerned with your pump due to its properties, but it is not capable of running that all in one loop and producing decent temperatures (nor is the MCP655). The pumps aren't the problem...it's that the loop proposed would have entirely too many components in it.

If you want to keep your pump, more power to you. Get another one and a res (or T-line) to go with it. The MCP655 proposal was because you can run a single pump on two independent loops thanks to the wonderful Typhoon III.

OK. I just got a 2nd pump. I am going to do 2 independent loops.

Here is what I was thinking. Can you ell me if this is the right order :

1st Loop = pump -> 3x120 Rad. -> GPU1 -> GPU2 -> pump

2nd Loop = pump -> 2x120 Rad. -> CPU -> Mosfets -> N/S Bridge -> pump

Thanks again for the help.

Just ramember to put the res/tline just before the pump
Res - pump - 3x120rad - gpu1 - gpu2 - and back to res

I'd put the 3x120 on the CPU, NB/SB & MOSFETS. GPUs are designed to take a fair amount of heat and, while it's not ideal, they can probably survive on the 2x120 (though larger would be better). Your 975 is going to be ridiculously hot and will need all the cooling it can get.

OK so change radiators. I was actually gonna do this without reservoirs.

Thanks hokiealumnus

You're quite welcome. Throw up some pics when you get it done! That will be a lot of water in one box. :)

Back