• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If I build today...what am I going to wish I waited for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zangler

build time is around the corner...and the age old timing thing comes into play...the title really says it all...couple of things though:

1. i more than realize that the longer i wait the more bang for my buck i get and the more features will be out...

2. because of #1...i want to keep this in the scope of 30-90days max...unless on day 91 or something some huge tech is on its way...

so to recap...if i build today...what in the next 30-90 days will have me :bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head

thanks in advance!

The main difference between now and then would be the ATI 5xxx series, it comes out in a month or so, and while those cards will be expensive, the 4xxx cards should get much cheaper, making them a screaming deal (hell, they already are a screaming deal).
Also the core i5 is coming to the US in less then 90 days i believe, and while it is likely to be expensive it will probably drop the price of intel core2quad chips a bit (least i'd hope so).
It may or may not force AMD's prices down, it's hard to say.

Personally, i would wait for the 5xxx series to buy the GPU, and if you're after an intel quad, i'd wait to buy that too.

Yes it may be worthwhile waiting for i5 and directx11 cards to come out.. but always remember, technology is always progressing.. once something new comes out there's always something to be announced and released after a few months.

I just bought my new comp the other day.. should have waited but its alright.. i'll just upgrade in a little bit when I want something new.

I say wait a few months and pick up the new stuff!

i am thinking intel quad for sure...so either way i5 or cheaper current procs would be nice...motherboard wise....is there a chipset on the horizon?

P55 goes with i5 and nothing else, so yes.

right...and that is a consideration even larger than dx11 cards because i dont want a chipset at the end of its life in terms of CPU options for the future...

i like being able to upgrade CPU and card without having to get a new motherboard.

If you want that, then go with i7 S1366. The i9 coming out in several months will be still based on 1366. Im not sure where the roadmap goes with P55 and i5.

If you want that, then go with i7 S1366. The i9 coming out in several months will be still based on 1366. Im not sure where the roadmap goes with P55 and i5.

i5 / 1156(?) might be Intel's socket 754. They don't seem to have much planned for it...

What he said^^
i7 is pretty future proof as it uses the 1366 socket, and the 1366 socket will be compaitlble with the i9 12 thread processores in q1/2 2010

i5 is really mainly for 'mainstream' users...not considerd 'enthuast ' really, if you have the money i would go for i7 with most boards you can hit 4.0ghz

and yes in the future we will see dx11 cards
but they can allways be upgraded as and when you neeed them.

something i am loolking forward to is more reliable / next gen SSD's to use as my main drive, just dont feel secure about useing one yet

i just upgeaded to i7 and by selling my old cpu/mobo/ram i got the whole thing fore pretty cheap, if you waiy for the right deals ($200 microcenter i7 would be one of them ) you can get an i7 rig for quite a good price

Thanks for all of the great replies guys. I think I am still going to wait for P55 and i5 to see what it does to the x58 prices. I can easily wait 30-60 days to see how things will shake out.

If you build in 60 days what are you going to miss? lol..computers advance so fast in 60 days theyll have something newer and better already scheduled to release. I can see waiting a few days if you are waiting for i5 bc that will hit shelves soon. But if you are waiting for the next latest and greatest thing, you will be waiting for a long time. bc something new is always coming out. If you want i5, wait for it to come out here, buy it, and enjoy it. Life is too short to wait all the time :D thats my .02

that dirve is sweet. did you read the HyperOS sales Pitch?

You have one copy of Windows on your PC. It crashes. It will not restart. You are finished. You buy another PC. You spend the rest of your life worrying that this new one will crash. As a result you do not try any new applications in your new PC and it effectively becomes frozen.

Hehe my computer wont boot... guess i need a new one.

Back