• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd BIOS problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ree

Registered
I updated the BIOS of my Rampage Formula to the latest version 0902 (from factory 0408 or 0410, don't remember which one). The system was not overclocked at that time and I did "Load Setup Defaults" before flashing. The update process apparently was a success - EZ Flash did not report any errors and the BIOS version is reported correctly in the "System Information" section.

The problem is that from now on during every boot I get the following message:

BIOS update recommended.
To unleash this CPU´s full power, please perform BIOS update process.
Press any key to continue...

This is VERY odd. It seems that BIOS thinks it does not support the installed CPU (I have an E8600). But I know for sure that E8600 IS supported and it has been supported since much older BIOS versions. What makes this message even more out of place is that the CPU model/ratio/GHz rating are all reported correctly within BIOS.

This message didn't use to appear before. I can ignore it and the system will continue to start the OS and there are no problems there - everything works as it should.

I tried clearing CMOS (let the battery sit out of the board for ~10 hours) + "Load Setup Defaults" but that didn't help. Another option is reflashing again (I'm almost sure it won't help) or flashing to an earlier version, but before I do, what else could I try? What are the possible reasons for this message to appear in my case?

Ree said:
I tried clearing CMOS (let the battery sit out of the board for ~10 hours)
On the Rampage Formula clearing CMOS is done by first removing the battery, then hitting the CLR_CMOS button on the rear I/O (with the PSU turned OFF). The onboard CLRTC_SW slide switch needs to be set to the "Enabled" position in order to use the rear button.

Last edited:
Is this the very latest bios from Asus or 3rd party? Maybe re-download

Have you kept all your previous bios upgrades on media? If so, you should think which one you liked better than the rest (for whatever reason lik btr ovrclock) and flash to that.

On the Rampage Formula clearing CMOS is done by first removing the battery, then hitting the CLR_CMOS button on the rear I/O (with the PSU turned OFF). The onboard CLRTC_SW slide switch needs to be set to the "Enabled" position in order to use the rear button.
It shouldn't matter, the CMOS data can be reset by removing the battery for some time. I can confirm it worked since the time settings were reset too.

Is this the very latest bios from Asus or 3rd party? Maybe re-download
Yes, the latest official version. Re-downloading won't help. The file was not damaged otherwise I would have received errors during the flashing process.

Have you kept all your previous bios upgrades on media? If so, you should think which one you liked better than the rest (for whatever reason lik btr ovrclock) and flash to that.
No, I flashed the BIOS of this board for the first time.

Back