• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell 9400 RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LaptopsEros

Hi there, i have a Dell Inspiron 9400 with 1GB RAM (2x512mb).

I want to upgrade it, possibly get a 2GB one, but will my Laptop handle it?

I read that some people say it can handle up to 4GB but some say it can only handle 2GB.

What i want to do is get a 1x2GB one and keep 1x512mb in there, wondering if that will work?

Also, does any one know where i can get a 1x2GB one that will work with my computer (in UK)? i dont want to get 2x1GB.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Computer Specs:

Windows XP Media Centre Edition
2x512 RAM
160GB HD
Core2Duo

If you need for info, please ask :)

That laptop will handle up to 4gb. I am not sure if it will dual channel without matching memory stick. I don't remember.

Search online for DDR2 for notetbooks

Buying single sticks usually costs alot, might be worth looking for a 2x1Gb kit. Try ebay, they seem to sell loads of laptop ram upgrades etc...

The laptop will handle 2x2GB but only ~3.25GB is available because the BIOS lacks a memory remap feature. (even with a 64 bit OS)

Thank you for your replies, very appreciated.

Is something like this alright for my laptop?

Code:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-x-2gb-ram-DELL-INSPIRON-1545-1720-1721-9400-E1705_W0QQitemZ220465342127QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Laptop_Memory_RAM_ET?hash=item3354c226af&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Hoping for a reply, thank you!

I'm assuming that your laptop can run the ram in dual channel which is why it currently has 2x512mb in it instead of 1x1gb. In that case, you might actually see a performance decrease by going to 1x2gb due to the fact that you won't be running dual channel. My advice is to run 2x1gb or 2x2gb.

I'm assuming that your laptop can run the ram in dual channel which is why it currently has 2x512mb in it instead of 1x1gb. In that case, you might actually see a performance decrease by going to 1x2gb due to the fact that you won't be running dual channel. My advice is to run 2x1gb or 2x2gb.

Thanks for your reply, i was planning on keeping one with 512mb and other with 2gb, equaling 2.5gb ram, would that be alright?

Also, thank you realtadiquantu.

Most modern chipsets support dual channel for unequal ram sticks UP TO the size of the smaller stick. Example: 1x512MB and 1x1GB -> 512MB of each stick would be dual channel.

I'm unaware of this chipset's abilities so I'd assume it's a standard dual channel that doesn't support this; and I'd go with a matched size option to keep the dual channel support.

2x1GB or 2x2GB

Hi...
This is Francis from America.I got an severe problem.I had purchased the Lenovo laptop before 6 months with 120 Gb hard disk and 1 Gb RAM.Actually the problem is that I am not having the graphics in it and the high graphics games are not supported in it.So if I add the graphics card. Should I increase my RAM capacity?
So anybody can suggest me about the RAM and Graphics card to be used in it.I heard about 9400 RAM So is it the perfect solution for this or not.

Back