• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After my recent P6T V2 FUBARR, gonna give one of these a try

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MongGrel

I still am miffed at my recent meltdown with my i7, think I may actually have gotten a drop of sweat on the MOBO and fried something when restarting.

Still kicking myself in the butt, but thought I'd give a P6T7 open box a shot for grins and giggles, was one of the ones I was nibbing at originally, and only got the other due to it being part of the combo.

Rolling the dice on an open box I guess.

If nothing else I can hopefully make sure it's not the CPU that fried, all I did was remove the CPU cooler, put MX-3 on it, and reinstall and fire everything up again.

Blah.

See how this goes I guess, could have some interesting options in the future I imagine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...131390R&guid=60387740a0654c53ab8c15218d49e828

:beer:

WTH, if I get a good one maybe a good thing.

Last edited:
Rule number one, don't spill your beer on the motherboard. It's a shame to waste good beer. Rule number 2, don't sweat on your motherboard. I suggest one of these next time.

ccff08580ba90bd2.jpg

lol, nothing like a fencing mask to add style.

Sucks the motherboard fried, worth a RMA attempt maybe?

Don't forget rule #3, don't randomly plug in front panel connectors.

There seems to be a lot of motherboard death going around recently.

ESD (electrostatic discharge) maybe?

Lotta people just diving in without a care because they've never felt ESD is real or a problem they are ever going to encounter. Sort of like an unplanned pregnancy LOL.

Take the precautions and greatly minimize the risks.

The board came about as barebones as could be, not even a case plate, but seems to have everything up and running again well.

Glad I didn't injure anything else in the process it appears.

Nah, I know ESD pretty well deal with it a lot at work and have a strap, the sweat got me I think, stupid as that was.

Last edited:
This was still ticking me off, so while playing around I dissected the MOBO.

I had also removed the QPI aluminum cooler, and had replaced it with an aftermarket cooler.

Wasn't sweat after all, I looked at alignment and what I had on there, I believe what I did was run a screw too far through the copper block and it came into contact with part of the circuitry on the MOBO.

If I'd have ground em off a bit would have been ok, live and learn I guess.

I'd been using that thing a few weeks, had removed that to put MX-3 on there also, I guess when I reinstalled it looks I ran the screw in a little bit further and the screw made contact with the MOBO.

Still a botch up, but thought I'd throw that out there for anyone adding things to a P6T V2, watch attaching things to the QPI block, those are through holes and if a screw is too long it can make contact with components on the board.

Should be common sense I guess, but just a warning.

Last edited:
Back