• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help on i7 965 OC w/ Rampage II Extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

little dragon

Hi to all.

Noob to OC & desperate to OC this rig for a friend.

I know it will be difficult to OC to 4 Ghz w/o liquid cooling, will be happy to run it at a lower Ghz.

CPU- i7 965 w/ Artic Cooling Freezer II Extreme
Mobo - Asus Rampage II Extreme w/ 1406 & 1502 Bios
P/S - Antec 1200W
Grapahics - 3X Asus GTX 285 w/ SLI enabled
RAM - 12 GB 6X 2 GB Kingston HyperX KHX12800D3K2
Case - CoolerMaster HAF

Have tried different combinations of OC, all failed or system becomes unstable. Using Intelburn Test, Prime95 , Memtest to test.

Please help.

thanks

It is very easy to get 4.0 on air, especially with that CPU. 920's routinely are going to 4.0 and more on air. List all the BIOS setting for your voltages, RAM, Bclk, CPU, etc.

Thanks DaddyJaxx.

Here are some of the settings I did.
For 3.85 Ghz For 3.75 Ghz
Ai OC Tuner - Manual
OC from CPU Level Up - Auto
OC from Memory Level Up - Auto
CPU Ratio Setting - 25 25
CPU Turbo Power Limit - Enabled
CPU Confg - all as is
BCLK Frequency - 154 150
PCIE “ - 100
DRAM “ - DDR3-1853 Mhz DDR3-1600
UCLK “ - Auto
QPI Link Data Rate - Auto 3601
DRAM Timing - All Auto
EPU II Phase Control - Full Phase
Load Line Calibration - Enabled
CPU Amplitude Diff - Auto
Extreme OV - Disabled
CPU Voltage - 1.35 V all else same
CPU PLL Voltage - Auto
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage - Auto
IOH Voltage - Auto
IOH PCIE Voltage - Auto
ICH Voltage - Auto
ICH PCIE Voltage - Auto
DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.64 V
Dram Ref Voltage - All Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum - Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum - Auto
CPU Clock Skew - Auto
IOH Clock Skew - Auto

Also tried CPU Ratio of 20 & BClk Freq of 190, still unstable.
I hope somebody could give out all the right settings. Really desperate.
Appreciate all the help.

Have tweak the BIOS settings a bit more & got it running OK ( passed linx & IntelBurn test ) except when I shut it down, it would not turn on. Have to unplug & wait a while to get it booting again.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

The Rampage II Extreme has CPU Level up in the BIOS. have you tried setting that to its midrange setting (around 3.8-3.9 I believe) set that and check the Voltages.. I have found that it likes setting high voltages when left to its own devices.

Thank you Phil. I almost gave up on this forum.

Tried it once on the Ai Suite, it crashes big time. Have not try the one in the Bios.

I have tried diff settings w/ diff results. It is just so frustrating.

One thing appears to be constant, @ 3.6 & 3.85 ghz, after applying mid to high load, CoreTemp will reach 100c. Almost 60% of the time, after shutting down, system would not power up. Seems like heat issue. Unplug the psu cable & wait a few minutes, then it will power up again. @ 4.0 ghz & 3.85 ghz, somestimes get Overclock failure message.

Will try our suggestion.

Thanks

Unplug the psu cable & wait a few minutes, then it will power up again.

I was getting the same issue.. when OC'ing in the BIOS using the CPU Level UP and then trying to tweak the Bclk to get 4.8Ghz it would fail to take the OC.. this would not then restart successfully.. as you did unplugging the Power and waiting a little got me back into the BIOS.

I found that using TurboV and CPU Level Up whilst in Windows and restarting allowed the OC to take when the BIOS would not (with the same settings).. Can't expain that at all but someone on here might be able to shed some light on that .

There is an option in the BIOS to 'Switch' to BIOS1 upon an unsuccessful OC which I would leave on 'Switch' as it has saved me once or twice when I have set ridiculous Blck settings by accident.

Did you take a note of the Voltages when your back in Windows. Check out CPUz and tell us what their set to when you use CPU Level Up.

Another thing to look out for is the DRAM underclocking that occurs when using CPU Level Up. it drops your Memory speeds dependent on what Range you chose . I'll try and get some images of the BIOS settings I am on if that would help.. Someone else has asked in another post for them. So I'll take some when I am back infront of the PC. ( at work at the moment).

Back