• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Everex XT5000T Graphics Driver Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Larcen

I've had this notebook since about the time it came out and was on sale at officemax and its been fine up until the last couple of months.

Every so often, like maybe once every couple hours if its on that long, the display will go black for a minute and then it will come back and say that the display driver stopped working and that it had to recover it.

Now I tried reinstalling and it still seems to do it about the same time periods. I'm not sure if there is something that is occuring before this happens as it usually does not do it during watching a movie or whatever but I'm curious if it sounds like the graphics card may be going out.

Side Note: I did install some 3rd party drivers a while back that gave me some issues and I then removed them and reinstalled ones that I had on it before that worked and it might have started some time after that.

My other question is could drivers cause the graphics card to act up even after a reinstall of the complete OS. Like say cause permenant damage? Thanks in advance.

Drivers don't/can't break hardware.

If it is going to a black screen and recovering, it sounds like the laptop is overheating. That is exactly what my Toshiba does (although mine is due to poor thermal design...). When was the last time you gave it a good cleaning?

Drivers don't/can't break hardware.

If it is going to a black screen and recovering, it sounds like the laptop is overheating. That is exactly what my Toshiba does (although mine is due to poor thermal design...)

Yea I didn't think drivers would mess up the hardware. My wife kept hounding me about how I update thing so often that its probably messing it up and I just keep saying, no updated drivers are not the cause of the hardware malfunctioning, especially after using the restore disk on it to test and it did the same exact thing. But, after someone keeps drilling something into you, it makes you wonder how much do you really know about it and maybe it could have some adverse affect on the hardware itself. Thats why I wanted to ask.

When was the last time you gave it a good cleaning?

I had it apart once maybe last year but I didn't "clean" it much just blew off here and there where it was noticeably dirty. I may have to try that out and see how it goes from there. Thanks for the input.

Hello All,
I have got the same problem with my XT5000T laptop. So tat I could try and resolve it, I have tried to reload the factory software, I have taken the Fan assenmbly apart and cleaned it. Still it does the same thing. Any Ideas

I had an xt5000t that died. The xt5000t had issues with overheating and dying due to a faulty gpu
if you screen is going black and than coming back than you are having the common issue that comes when the GPU and I think the wifi are sharing the same PCI lane. When the screen goes black, turn off your wifi and the screen should come back.
This laptop is the reason why I will never buy an everex (they don't sell in the us anymore) or Fujitsu (they are the oem that created this terrable excuse for a laptop)
just so you know, my buddy bought this laptop at the same time as me and his died too, nothing but trouble

Back