• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX 790i - Unable to boot Vista X64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

k-weaver

Hey everyone,

So i'm new to the site but am looking for some help. I just built a new computer with the following:

CPU: Intel Q8400 (Yorkfield)
Motherboard: XFX 790i Ultra (N82E16813141009)
Memory: G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz (N82E16820231180)
Graphics: XFX NVIDIA GTX 260 (N82E16814150329)
(Parenthesis is the newegg part number)

I was able to install Windows Vista Ultimate X64 fine. The problem came in where you have to set the initial settings (like the login ID and password). During the boot it would BSOD every time.

After some troubleshooting on my end it came down to the ram. I pulled one stick and it worked fine. I downloaded ALL updates and put the second stick back in, BSOD. I ram memtest86, came back clean. The computer will load with one stick of ram only, can be either stick and in any slot. Both sticks results in BSOD (Any slot combination).

The actual BSOD goes by very quickly. I tried pausing it to read what it says but i am unable to. I also tried to take a pic with a camera but its just too fast. I was however able to notice some sort of IRQ conflict.

I started playing with the BIOS and came across the Extended System Configuration Data (ESCD). I enabled this and everything started to work. About 2 hours later I ran into a BSOD in the middle of web browsing. Every restart after had the same problem. The feature in the BIOS remained enabled, I tried toggling it but it didn't help. I reset the BIOS (using the jumper) and re-enabled the ESCD, worked again for about 2 hours then BSOD again.

I decided to install XP Pro X64 and its been working fine since. This confirms that the hardware is fine. Seems like some sort of conflict between the BIOS and Vista, I just have no idea what....

Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated, thanks in advanced for the help...

I wasn't sure what the BIOS version was from the factory so I decided to flash it anyway. I downloaded the latest from the XFX site (was an ISO) and ran that. I can't remember what version it is but its the latest.

Back