• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD6 or Asus P7P55D Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alien432

Tech Savvy Member
Haven't done my homework yet. I need your help.

I see i5 MB for sale tonight which should I get?

Asus P7P55D Deluxe Socket 1156 for $220.99

or

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD6 for $239.99

Just curious...Why are you building an i5? if you still have the system in your sig thats a pretty knockout system lol

Just for the heck of it. My i7 is really fast but i5 is suppose to be better for gaming and that's what I do most so I want to verify that. I'll keep which ever rig is better for me and sell the other in classifieds.

if i pick up a p55 based board, it's gonna be the mATX option from eVGA or Asus.

i feel the mATX boards are worth the wait.

(espe when the RIIG is purring away right next to me :) )

Considering you can get an EVGA X58 Micro for $209 and a 920 for $199 from Microcenter then I am not seeing the point of the i5, unless theyre a GOOD amount cheaper.

i5 won't be worth it until it's about $110. The launch prices are just plain moronic. Right now i7 920 is the best, and it clocks better than lynnfield too.

Yeah I saw an i5 750 2.66ghz for $219.99 available on 9/8 not as low as I was expecting.

And more...

i7 860 2.8ghz $303.99
i7 870 2.933ghz $579.

Last edited:
So I'll ask a noob question(cuz I am) and I could google it but for the benefit of others...
What's the benefits of the 2 different processors? Cache?

The i5 7xx's have no hyperthreading and are dual channel. The i7 8xx's have hyperthreading but are dual channel, not triple channel. Only 1366 (Bloomfield) has triple channel, 1156 (Lynnfield) does not.

The i5 7xx's have no hyperthreading and are dual channel. The i7 8xx's have hyperthreading but are dual channel, not triple channel. Only 1366 (Bloomfield) has triple channel, 1156 (Lynnfield) does not.

that and we cant forget LGA1156 uses the DMI buss vs QPI for LGA1366. that is unless intel changed something while i was working my A off for 2.5months...

Yeah the whole i5 thing mystifies me a bit less I'm missing something there.

Unless the prices drop a lot on them later I guess.

???

:beer:

Last edited:
i5 won't be worth it until it's about $110. The launch prices are just plain moronic. Right now i7 920 is the best, and it clocks better than lynnfield too.
true indeed

wonder how fast after launch price drops will happen on i5 750 at least ? guess alot of LGA775 folks might see that cpu and P55 as a decent upgrade and demand for it might prevent the i5 750 price from coming down ??

Asus and Gigabyte have gone crazy in P55 board offerings, Asus 10x P55 boards http://i4memory.com/f54/asus-p55-motherboard-information-18897/ and Gigabyte 11x P55 boards IIRC hehe

That does sound like good news, while i don't have much interest in these cpus, still need to grab one for P55 dual channel memory test/reviews hehe. Will be fun batch hunting again LOL

Last edited:
Back