• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8GB RAM on Maximus II Formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d3m0n_edge

Hi guys. In need of some serious help as I've been to other forums and weren't good.

Basically, I can run 4GB of Corsair Dominator DDR2 RAM (TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF) fine. However, if I add an additional 4GB, I occasionally get blue screens. If I clear the CMOS and run on Auto, sometimes it boots, sometimes I get bluescreens before Windows loads the desktop. I've manually set the timings to 5-5-5-15 2T, frequency to 1066MHz and voltage to 2.1v (which these modules were tested and certified to run at) and still occasionally get bluescreens. The last thing I tried to do was increase the NB voltage +2. It all seems to work but I still get the occasional bluescreen. I've already tried lowering the frequency down to 800MHz and still get the same result.

The CPU, GPU and NB are all watercooled. The RAM is from the same batch (same serial number and IC version). I've ran Memtest on each module and found no errors or faults.

My current setup is:

Asus Maximus II Formula
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6800
4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 RAM
MSI NGTX280 OC Hydrogen
OCZ Summit 60GB SSD
Cooler Master Real Power M850 PSU

What am I not doing right? Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Try giving more volts to the MEM, raise to 2.12 or maybe a lil higher. Giving the NB more volts can help too cause 8gb is harder on the platform. manualing the timing to the spec is a good start too.

You can also try each stick one by one to ensure every stick is good ( run MEM86 on each stick ) and if each stick can pass MEM86 for a few pass, now try every slot one by one and MEM86 ... this way youll be sure every slot/stick is good.

Basically, I can run 4GB of Corsair Dominator DDR2 RAM (TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF) fine. However, if I add an additional 4GB, I occasionally get blue screens.

Did you find a solution to this? I'm having the exact same problem with the same RAM(Mine is TWIN2X4096-8500C5D, though, since Corsair homepage said that was the correct one for me).

Bios is running on default settings. With 4GB on windows vista x64(running the latest bios that had memory fixes) with no problem at all.
When i put in another 4GB of the same RAM, i get bluescreen when windows tries to start up.
After removing the last 4GB to try and get it back up again, i have to struggle to get windows back up, by testing various 4GB RAM combinations(moving the 4GB to another socket and so on).

Considering that the motherboard is said to be able to run up to 16GB, i don't really see why it has problems with 8GB.

Last edited:
Try giving more volts to the MEM, raise to 2.12 or maybe a lil higher. Giving the NB more volts can help too cause 8gb is harder on the platform. manualing the timing to the spec is a good start too.

You can also try each stick one by one to ensure every stick is good ( run MEM86 on each stick ) and if each stick can pass MEM86 for a few pass, now try every slot one by one and MEM86 ... this way youll be sure every slot/stick is good.

Memtested all modules individually and received no errors. I can run 4GB in any combination with no problems at all. Only when all for DIMMs are populated I get issues. Pushed my RAM voltage upto 2.15 didn't work and a NB voltage upto 1.4v didn't have any effect either.

Oh I'm so lost right now, 4GB just sitting on my desk being idle...

I see you teste STICK individually. You tried each SLOT one by one with memtest ?

IM about to tell you to RMA this board .... He just dont seems to like 8gig ...

Single stick mem all tested OK ..
Single board slot all tested OK ..
You also tried different BIOS (latest) OK ..
Tried raising the Vmem and Vnb OK .. ( can still try higher )
Reinstall OS ? but its OK with 4 gig ... dont really think its OS.

It really seems to be MOBO related. Ask ASUS support ... !

It's OK running 4GB of RAM. The thing is that the Corsair memory is on the QVL for 4GB on the blue DIMMs. Even had 4GB of OCZ Blade PC9200 rated at 1150MHz overclocked to 1200MHz, and they weren't even on the QVL. I might just end up selling the board, memory and CPU and just upgrade to a Core i7 setup instead.

6 gigs work fine as well (at stock). The board may be a bit picky about some ram. I am running 2 x 2Gb Ballistix Tracers and 1 x 2 Gb of OCZ Reaper (the other stick died ).

In my case i know it's not the OS. i reinstalled vista, only to find the same problem still existing. i will test the memory modules one by on and each slot one by one as soon as i can. i have tried increasing the RAM voltage and manually setting the voltage, with unstable, but half success.

While i got bluescreen after the loading screen for windows before, i have been able to start up windows during my tests. But i see weird dots of colour on the screen, and windows services keep crashing. and i'm not sure where to gofrom there. i'm afraid of destroying something if i put the RAM voltage to high. 2.10v is written on the RAM itself, and i pushed it up to 2.11v

I have never overclocked a PC in my life, since i prefer to keep temperatures and sounds low, and hw life as long as possible. Never actually needed it either. Thats why i'm really careful when changing the bios settings.

I have seen several posts about this on the Corsair forum as well. but haven't found one to solve my problem as of yet.

I am running 8 gb pc8500 mushkin, but was running a diff 2x2gb mushkin kit and 2x2gb corsair xms2 and never had problems with either setup. I also ran 8 gb mixed pc 6400 2gb sticks and they all worked as well.(all on my maximus 2) Just sounds like a finicky board

I forgot to mention that the 8GB setup worked well for a few days after i first installed them, before the problems started. so i was worried that it had something to do with the RAM or the motherboard.

I have the same problem

Hello d3m0n_edge, i know the last post on this thread was over a year ago,
but did you ever find a solution to your problem.

I have exactly same problem, i cant get the Asus Maximus formula 2 motherboard to work with Corsair Dominator DDR2 RAM (TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF)

It works fine with 2, 4 and 6 gb, but my system wont even boot when i put in the last one. I have tried every thing that this tread has recommended but nothing works. I have used alot of time trying to get this to work.

I hope you found a solution and that you could share it with me.

Thanks

set TRFC to 80 and you'll need lots of NB juice so dont be affraid to give it volts.

you might try 5-5-5-18 as well. Dominators work very well on this board 8GHb is a ***** to get stable tho I still have the board and most of my old benching settings so I look through them today

Back