• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI x48...Where'd the overclocking go?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AEternal1

Registered
I have come across a very interesting problem. I can overclock the everliving daylight outta my rig...KICKASS!!...but it only show up in the bios. my POST tells me that the hardware is running at the spec i expect to see, and so does the cell menu in the bios ( where the overlcoclong happens on this mobo). however..those specs do not show up anywhere else. i'm running win7, and ive run all kinds of specs programs, and they all tell me that everything is running at factory specs....wether i overclock, or underclock, overvolt, or undervolt.
since i just got this board, i dont know exactly what to expect, but i think, when running stuff like super pi, i should see a speed difference in the calculation between 2.2 ghz and 8.1 ghz...right? i don't think it should post the same processing time..should it? it posts 20 seconds to calculate 1 mil pi no matter what settings i use.
i also use PC wizard 2009 for benchmarking, and all of its computing tasks for determining actual speed all show the same regardless of what underclock/overclock settings i use.

anyone have any input on this odd behavior?
anyone else seen a bios report settings that no other program can detect?

thank you for taking the time to read this post, and for those of you who reply, thank you extra much for contributing to this enigma.

pic

thought i'd take a pic of the post screen, since i cant get any other program to show this information....
since the screen is kinda fuzzy, and i have no idea how this picture will show up in your web browser..i will translate a little...

pentium dual core cpu e6300 @ 2.8 ghz, speed 800x10.5=8134mhz

memory frequency for ddr3 3200

the ddr3 is ocz 1066 intel extreme edition.

running stock cooling all around, open air case, no additional fans, and the cpu temp is always 32*C, regardless of overvolting, undervolting, overclocking, underclocking.

the settings i am running at now, are the max this mobo and other hardware is capable of....i sincerely believe that this bios is delusional. NOTHING else supports the belief that my system is running at the bios reported specs.

has anyone else had such strange overclocking experience?

Attachments

• P1040055.jpg
    P1040055.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 279
AEternal1 said:
pentium dual core cpu e6300 @ 2.8 ghz, speed 800x10.5=8134mhz
The Bus Speed for a Pentium E6300 is 1066 MHz (/4 = 266 MHz), which when multiplied by the default 10.5 Bus/Core Ratio is 2.80 GHz. Manually adjust the CPU FSB Frequency setting in the BIOS to 266, and leave the CPU Ratio at 10.5

Adjust the FSB/Memory Ratio to 1:2 (266/1066 strap) for an Adjusted DRAM Frequency of 1066 MHz at an FSB of 266 MHz. Post a direct link to your particular RAM, because this makes no sense...
memory frequency for ddr3 3200

the ddr3 is ocz 1066 intel extreme edition
... unless you mean PC3-10666 (DDR3-1333):

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr3_pc3_10666_intel-extreme_edition

Last edited:
thank you for your response....my ram is ddr3 1066, intel xtreme by ocx, and yes, it shouldnt be that " fast" but the frequency is tied in to other overclocking features that automatically determines ram frequency.....the x48 bios overclocking is awesome looking, but non functioning. as you can see from the pic..the bios believes its running my ram at 3200.
with all settings left at their default, the bios does report accurately..its just trying to oc the thing so that it can be detected by something other than the bios, and post, that is the issue.

Post your system spec's in detail, including MB (model of MSI X48), BIOS revision, and a direct link to your RAM at the OCZ site.

Now just create a sig. showing the following system spec's...

MB - MSI X48 Platinum
RAM - OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Intel Extreme Edition
(This is why I asked for a direct link to your RAM, because you kept posting DDR3-1066 instead of DDR3-1333 / PC3-10666). Also list the amount of RAM installed, for example 2 x 1GB or 2 x 2GB, etc.
PSU - XION PowerReal 1100W
CPU - Intel Pentium Processor E6300
Video card - Diamond Viper ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2

After making any changes in the BIOS, you either select Save and Exit Setup, or hit F10 and Save? Try resetting CMOS using the ClrRTC button on the rear I/O panel (make sure to remove power to the PSU first)... make sure to read the instructions in your MB manual. After clearing CMOS, power on and re-enter the BIOS. Load Optimized Defaults, hit F10 to Save, then exit and re-enter the BIOS to make any manual changes.

Last edited:
well, thanx for taking the time to answer yet again. i've read the mobo included manual cover to cover, making sure that i understand fully what each individual setting is SUPPOSED to do, and i have also read the specs for all of my hardware to make sure that i am overclocking within the hardwares spec. all to no avail. no matter what settings i use, be it overclocked, or underlcocked, outside of the post and bios.. i only get stock readings. only the bios and post show diffferent readings based on what settings i use.

well, to anyone who may be curious, i finally figured out how to fix this, if not why it happened in the first place. so, i decided to test run 64 bit windows 7....and all my overclocking features actually showed up where they belong. sadly, i had to slow the system way down for it to run, i had to install at stock speeds, and work my way up to stable speeds, but, now it works. when i switched back to 32 bit..overclocking gone. all external programs report the same results...32 bit, nothing..64 bit..overclocked. maybe someone else may be having overclocking issues, and maybe switching to 64 bit may fix them.

Back