• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help finding laptop under $2500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

briguy

I need help in finding a gaming laptop, under 2500$ and that will be able to last me 4+ years. Need it to be able to handle games with high settings while still maintaining high fps.

What do you think of the Alienware m17x. After looking at alot of reviews it seems that people think it's the best gaming computer.

Ive got an Alienware laptop and was considering the M17x and decided on a high spec M15x
The M17x is exceptionally heavy and has such poor battery life that imho its a replacement desktop, I genuinely do not think its a usable portable product due to its battery life, you simply could not take it out for the day without the power supply.
The heat which comes from the product as well meant that it is not something I would want on my lap for a long period of time

In terms of a system and performance its great, in terms of meeting what I consider desirable features from a laptop, meaning its portable, has reasonable battery life and can have it on your lap for a while, I think its lacking.
I know someone who is selling a m17x to buy a m15x for these very reasons.

You can read my review of my 15x at the following URL
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=615383

Last edited:
Is Alienware have better quality than thier dells, because I am using the Studio Xps 16, right now and it isn't the best for gaming.

Is Alienware have better quality than thier dells, because I am using the Studio Xps 16, right now and it isn't the best for gaming.

The Alienware is really a top bit of kit and the support is exceptional but then again so it should be for the price, it handles everything that I throw at it and performs well in all situations, I think a great deal of thought has been placed into where the cooling vents are and things like that, im very pleased
Although I rate my Alienware I do not think it is as good value for money as my XPS1530 and think that's a really good bit of kit.

The Alienware I feel is a reasonably decent quality laptop, I like the build quality in most areas however it still has a few things which need improving imho, it must be said you don't buy one because they are cheap, good value for money, or decent quality you buy them because they are very very good performers. (but they are super cool imho)

The way I buy laptops, is not to buy the very latest I can afford but buy a mid range and spec it right up which I did with my Alienware as such I can obtain over 5 hours using battery (9 cell and a smart bay battery) and take a space 6 cell out in my pocket for good measure, its the first powerful laptop which I have had that I can take away from the power supply for a while, I also have 8 gigs of RAM and two SSD's :D its all I need from a laptop
As laptops become more powerful, the battery performance is not matching the demands in general which is why I think netbooks are doing so well, simply because a lot of laptops are not longer truly portable.

I like it and have tried to be honest in my review so far - But I must say Alienware support is the best i have ever received from any company which makes computer systems.

Last edited:
Back