• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC laptop...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

attack

Hey all, I'm running a slingbox in my house so I can watch TV in my basement/gaming area. I need a laptop that can run slingbox or HD podcasts on windows XP...

My question,
Can I get away with intel GMA 945 graphics and single core?...say ~1.6 ish P-M?
Do I need GMA 950 and dual core? Or something just slightly higher?

Also I want to do this on the cheap, say around 300 bucks, I've been trying to find deals on dell 9300 and 9400's. I've seen a few 9300 within my price range but they're single core and GMA945

Any other ideas for models?

It might be doable. Id get a Pentium M or better, no celerons. Iv seen they can do HD on Atom CPUs which would be comparable..

My netbook, which has a Atom N280, can run high definition videos. I havent tried it though connected to a T.V or external monitor.

I should think that it would be able to do it, a Pentium M has more power than a Atom.

What matters most here is the graphics solution, as most reasonably powered CPUs should be fine. A single core Pentium M in the 1.6GHz range should be enough, as should a dual core atom or something similarly powerful.

With integrated graphics, you'll want at least an X4500 or X4500HD if you go with Intel, or a 9300M or 9400M if you go with nVidia. Most discrete graphics chips should get the job done. GMA950 is...pitiful.

It looks like you're in the Army, and also in Savannah. My brother's out that way - 7th Cavalry.

Back