• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Gigabyte P55-UD4P thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
P55 and Lynnfields are here! I've got a Gigabyte P55-UD4P and P55-UD6 (will make a separate thread or post in sno's :)) and two Lynnfields (860 and 870) to play with. I'll post results in individual threads as I make progress with each.

I've only had them for a few days and haven't had time to play with them as much as I'd like, but in the limited time I've spent, I've been pleasantly surprised by a "mainstream" and reasonably priced motherboard that can hold it's own very well. The first time that happened, it was the P45-UD3P. This time it's the P55-UD4P.

p55-ud4p.jpg

Nicely laid out board. The PCIe slots have enough room for a Crossfire/SLI setup that leaves actual room for them to breathe even when the cards have a dual-slot cooling solution. The DIMM slots also have plenty of space between the vid card and mounting tabs. I've hated for years having to remove an extended length vid card to change mem because the tabs wind up under the card. If you change memory often, you know what I am talking about!

LGA1156 up close and personal. This socket has a unqiue locking system. Opening the lid simply requires pull the level back. No more unlocking and then trying to get a fingernail under the lid to pull it up. It's all done with the lever on these.

lga1156.jpg

Here is a Core i7 860 (left) next to a Core i7 920. The LGA1156 is the same physical size as LGA775, but the new socket also means a new mounting hole pattern for cooling solutions. Prepare to buy yet another bracket for your TRUE.

860v920.jpg

Gigabyte P55-UD4P
Intel Core i7 860 proc
Kingston 2000MHz CL8 2x2GB
Gigabyte GTX260
Odin 1200W PSU
Water cooled, mostly because a new socket means newly placed holes and my water block was the easiest thing to make fit :)

These are just some random "who wants to see yet another 4GHz @ 1.30-1.35Vc" benches. From what I can tell so far, they are definitely "Core i7". 4-4.2GHz with HT enabled is pretty reachable at real world Vc (ie. <1.35Vc), but much over that clock is going to be pretty warm without really good cooling.

None of these are tweaked beyond the basics, in most cases, I never even rebooted.

VERY reasonable Vc for 4400MHz with HT enabled and a 200BCLK with 1000MHz mem to boot. I had no problem reaching 200+BCLK in either the UD4P or UD6. 220BCLK is easily benchable, but YMMV depending on CPU and cooling.

wp_1024_4400.png

32m_4620_220bclk.png

8m_4670_222bclk.png

1m_4775.png

25x multi on a proc with 21x default? You noticed that, eh? "Turbo" on 1366 allows one higher multi than default. 1156 goes quite a few higher. They are not "selectable" multis, but depending what settings are, like how many cores are enabled, will allow higher or lower extra multipliers. Max multi on the 860 is 26x, max on the 870 is 27x.

Same Vc as the 1M above (drops a hair on load).

cpuz_4807.png

This 3D05 is about as close as I could get to the 920 3D05 run (2nd pic) for a comparison. Card clocks are lower and with the limited Uncore and QPI, dual channel instead of tri-channel memory and pretty untweaked bench, the UD4P/860 combo is a great performer for noticeably less pocket change.

3d05_34410_220bclk.png

3d05_35053.png

OnDBorder said:
Edit: I guess "es" has something to do with it...Duh.

Ross said:
25x multi on a proc with 21x default? You noticed that, eh? "Turbo" on 1366 allows one higher multi than default. 1156 goes quite a few higher. They are not "selectable" multis, but depending what settings are, like how many cores are enabled, will allow higher or lower extra multipliers. Max multi on the 860 is 26x, max on the 870 is 27x.

ES's are not unlocked. The added multi is a function of Turbo in the BIOS. I see no reason retails won't have the same high multis, but I guess we'll have to wait for a retail to pop up to see :)

Nice review Ross, looks like I need to do some shopping this week ;)

How would you say does the P55 compare to the X58 in terms OC friendliness, voltage control, PWM strenght etc. With more phase I would say the board would have the ability to hold a more stable current at higher OC or what?

P55 OCs well. Even the "budget" UD4P matches what my X58-UD4P did (unmodded) for BCLK and mem speed. On cold, I think we'll be seeing higher clocks overall just due to the high BCLKs you can get. Pre-P55, you needed a $400-500 board or microscopic hard mods to get >220FSB cold or not. It might still take cold to get 220+ on P55, but at least that's all it will need :) What 1156 might lack in inherit performance (no tri-channel, limited uncore, etc.) will probably be more than made up for in clocks.

In short, so far, P55 OCs very well :beer:

You got a good one Ross, as always. :p

(I'm at least a good 300MHz below)

You have the game tests for the p55 05 by any chance? That's actually a bigger difference than I was expecting.

Last edited:
good to see some more UD4P results Ross. i am definitely looking forward to see what cold does for you on with this chip. i haven't had my 750 on air yet so i don't even have a reference for my results. keep us updated :thup:

Thanks for the info, Ross.
I guess I'm one of those that looks at the pretty pictures.
You must be running 2 cores..
I wish I'd known about this before I ordered the RIIE. :(
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/intel_core_i7_core_i5_lynnfield_performance/page3.asp
Glad it's not just ES's...couldn't imagine it would've been, but good to be confirmed. Yeah, 2 cores for the CPUZ and 1M.

You got a good one Ross, as always. :p

(I'm at least a good 300MHz below)

You have the game tests for the p55 05 by any chance? That's actually a bigger difference than I was expecting.
LOL, it's been a while, I deserve a good one :thup: With my luck though, it will be terrible on cold :beer: I am going to try to get it on the SS during the week and see about making a mount for a tube over the weekend.

I don't have the game test for 05, but I'll look into it for comparison's sake ;)

good to see some more UD4P results Ross. i am definitely looking forward to see what cold does for you on with this chip. i haven't had my 750 on air yet so i don't even have a reference for my results. keep us updated :thup:
Thanks Jody...hoping to at least get it on the SS this week, but it's pretty weak now and 4 core/HT will probably make short work of it. If all it's good for is a 5GHz suicide validation, that will just have to be it :D

Nice work on the UD6 review :thup:

+1 for i7 860 just ordered one. I'm quite happy to see some very nice OC potential documented. Kudos to ROSS !

FYI tiger direct has them for 299.99 like most e-tailers but with 15% Bing cash back($45).

hmmm so i7 860 is actually an upgrade from i7 920? I'm just looking at specs...

Ross as always great results!! :beer:

hmmm so i7 860 is actually an upgrade from i7 920? I'm just looking at specs...

in cpu speed yes but lga1156 i7's dont use QPI, they use the DMI buss. then the drop to dual channel from tri on lga1366. not much difference it just means that on 1156 you need DDR3-1600 cas7 to equal DDR3-1333 cas7 on 1366. well that is what the benches showed when comparing dual vs tri on straight up 1366 boards. would be nice to see a ram dual vs dual between the two.

in cpu speed yes but lga1156 i7's dont use QPI, they use the DMI buss. then the drop to dual channel from tri on lga1366. not much difference it just means that on 1156 you need DDR3-1600 cas7 to equal DDR3-1333 cas7 on 1366. well that is what the benches showed when comparing dual vs tri on straight up 1366 boards. would be nice to see a ram dual vs dual between the two.

Tyvm for info :)

Alien432, what mb are you looking to get?

Though I do like the Gigabyte P55 boards and the UD4 looks very impressive, I decided to try the EVGA FTW and possibly the Asus Maximus III Formula. I should have them on Thursday or Friday at the latest.

:)

Some quick SS testing. That thing really needs a tune up LOL.

235BCLK boots to the desktop. I screened 240, but haven't been able to get more than that yet. PCIe increases make no difference.

235bclk_todesktop.png

I was fighting with it to get 5GHz and it wasn't cooperating. Temps have a lot to do with it. The proc was constantly in the -10C to +10C range LOL. If I let the evap cool for a couple minutes, it could get to the desktop @ 4950 (like this time), but more often than not I booted @ 4875 and clocked up.

The high multi way:

1m_4950.png

The high BCLK way. 235BCLK boots to the desktop easy with lower multi and slower/looser mem. 235 wasn't quite as happy with fast mem and tigher timings. More cold ought to do the trick though (that fixes everything :D).

1m_234bclk.png

Sweet :) Like -12C on the cores and still only 1.52Vc :thup: All voltages on AUTO except for Vc and mem (1.70V). I'll try to get some DI this weekend (LN2 pick up requires me having to take off work) and also make some insulation for the UD6.

860_5ghz_ss.png

What is the max you could get on the 860 with HT enabled on water Ross, SPI and 3D stable?

Back