• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7-720QM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zm15

Registered
I'm looking to get a new laptop here within the next month or so. I know at the end of this month the new core i7 mobile processors will be released. I'm curious as to what everyone here thinks about the price, or if they've heard anything.

I do alot of motion graphics work in After Effects and Cinema 4d, so i really like the extra cores, and especially the hyper threading, over the existing models. I want to spend about $1200. In your humble opinions, if i were to customize a Vaio or Dell concentrating on the low end 720QM with other less important features lacking, do you think a laptop can be bought for around this price??

I havent heard anything about the pricing. But something tells me you would be hard pressed to get a lappy with a brand new i7 chip for $1200. I hope I am wrong though.

This is a very humble and guessing opinion. :)

I would guess around $1600 for a i7 laptop, and it will be hard to find a basic i7 laptop without extra features when it will be the high end rather than mainstream. I guess we will have to wait and find out :p

I'd be pretty shocked if you found an i7 laptop for that price.

Clevo makes a desktop-i7 laptop, don't know what it costs though.

Clevo have one available for : £2000 GBP or $3,302.34 USD

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=17463

If you do a lot of graphics work I would be looking for a laptop with the Nvidia quattro card in it such as some of the Alienware products.
I would expect to pay a lot for a laptop capable of doing a lot of graphical work and rendering without struggling.

I think you are slightly optimistic to say the least with regards to the price.
I have an Alienware laptop which at the spec I have sells for more than $1200 in the US, it has 8gigs or RAM, SSD's, Blueray and a reasonable graphic card. I most certainly would not consider that to be enjoyable to use on motion graphics work

Last edited:
I am trying to be optimistic, lol, even though i know reality will most likely come at a much higher price. Having said that, i had my eyes set on a Vaio, what are recommendations for other brands that will give me better value and not just paying for a name?

An i7 Vaio for $1200??!!!?? ROFLMAO. You went from optimistic to not a frikin chance...lol

Asus, HP, Toshiba I like personally, but not sure about others.

I am trying to be optimistic, lol, even though i know reality will most likely come at a much higher price. Having said that, i had my eyes set on a Vaio, what are recommendations for other brands that will give me better value and not just paying for a name?

I am really happy with my Dell XPS 1530 I think its an awesome laptop, great value for money and a top performer for the money.
I think its a bargain compared to my Alienware, the Wackbook pro.
I've had quite a few laptops go trough my hands Acers, Asus, Sony, Apple to name and that's within this year but a few and all reasonably high spec machines. The two which impress me the most is the AW for the quality of the service and support and the Dell XPS as its simply great performance for the money. The vaio's are not a great bit of kit in terms of performance/quality/service imho and I think for the money you can buy better.

I've got a review of my Alienware in this section of the forum if your interested, it falls to the higher end of your budget but its a decent bit of kit imho

The 1530 is no longer available that I can find on the US/Can dell websites though. The have Studio XPS 13 and 16 and thats it

I am really happy with my Dell XPS 1530 I think its an awesome laptop, great value for money and a top performer for the money.

Thanks for sharing. What are the specs on it? Looking to do After Effects work, hence the 4 cores are very, very enticing. Also considering a Q9000 laptop. Do these run extremely hot?

Thanks for sharing. What are the specs on it? Looking to do After Effects work, hence the 4 cores are very, very enticing. Also considering a Q9000 laptop. Do these run extremely hot?

My XPS 1530 runs a 2.6ghz core 2 duo with 6meg of Cache, 8gb of DDR, 256meg NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, 9 Cell Li-On Battery, I also fitted an Intel X25 SDA after purchase. I like a decent amount of memory in my systems to avoid swapping to disk where possible as this is slower.

Its a solid performer imho and great value for money, I understand Dell have stopped making it now and replaced with the slightly larger XPS16 which I hope is as good.

Trusted reviews seemed to like it as well.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptops/review/2007/12/21/Dell-XPS-M1530/p1

Its a solid performer imho and great value for money, I understand Dell have stopped making it now and replaced with the slightly larger XPS16 which I hope is as good.

It comes with ATI only options which may be a deterant for some (like me)

Do you really need 4 cores 8 threads at 1.6 Ghz with a TDP of 45W? It might be better to wait for Arrandale and with the Capella platform... 2 cores 4 threads 2.66 Ghz with TDP of 35W.

Do you really need 4 cores 8 threads at 1.6 Ghz with a TDP of 45W? It might be better to wait for Arrandale and with the Capella platform... 2 cores 4 threads 2.66 Ghz with TDP of 35W.

well i really need to upgrade from my Pentium M 1.8 Ghz, and want to get the most bang for my buck.

Ohhh that's not nice and to be honest its a deterrent for me as Im a Linux user, I wont be adding a XPS16 to my collection :(

After the die packaging problems with the mobile nvidia GPUs, can you blame them for switching to ATi for their high end laptops?

ok everyone, should i be waiting until the new core i5/7 mobile chips come out next year? budget is now $1100 - i upgraded my home PC to i7 860.

I'm not in dire straits to upgrade today, but i was thinking maybe the T series chips will drop in price once the core i7 mobile chips come out this month.

Back