• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P3 PSU into P4 PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Matthew A.

Registered
I currently have a P3 ATX 300watt PSU that has both the ATX power connector as well as the 6 pin optional power connector coming out of it. The only thing it does not have that is required for P4 mobo's that use RDRAM is the 4 pin power connector. This connector is to supply -12v and +12v plus two grounds for the power needs of the RDRAM. I would like to know if I can use two unused IDE power connectors and make one 4 pin connector. I would do this by utilizing one -12v lead from on p. connector and then one +12v lead from the other to create this -12v,GND plus +12v,GND connector. Is this a something feasable.

I don't have a P4, but I'd recommend getting a PSU that is recommended for one. Incorrect or underpowered PSUs can cause you all sorts of trouble and time.

It isn't required. My P4 ran fine without the Auxiliary cable (the half AT like one), and the ATX12v Connector. A Pheriphel Power Connector would not work, because the ATX12v Connector is SQUARE 2x2, not rectangle 1x4.

I agree with Stool, safe bet would be to buy a P4 Approved PSU... better be safe than sorry...

Oh well...

Back