• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing with the GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Iam99x

I've searched and I can't find a definite answer on how to do this.

I have the Wolfdale e8400 processor (stock cooling), and I'd like to give it a kick in the *** from 3.0Ghz to 3.7Ghz.

I know how to navigate through the BIOS, but I don't know what settings to change. I haven't looked in the "Advanced Settings" in the BIOS, yet. I think you access them by pressing F1 or something.

A friend told me that I can just change the FSB to 460 (whatever that means), but I can't find that option in the BIOS. I'd rather hear it from you guys than take a chance of messing up my hardware.

Thank you for any help!

Well you can't "just change the FSB to 460". The E8400 has a default multiplier of 9x, so w/ a bus speed at that frequency the final clock would be 4.14 GHz. Even w/ an E0 stepping (and depending on the VID), you'll need to modify voltages, memory multiplier (SPD), etc. for that clock speed and FSB. Post a direct link to your RAM, including the VID and stepping of your chip. You can find the VID by opening Real Temp to the "Settings" page--> Max Core VID. Also post the rest of your system spec's, and fill out this BIOS template for the GA31M-ES2L (just ignore the settings in the template, and replace w/ your own)...

Code:
Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8] 
Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450] 
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 
Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 
Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______
Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 
Rank Write to READ Delay________ 
Write to Precharge Delay_________ 
Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 
Read to Precharge Delay__________
Static tRead Value_______________
Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] 
PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] 
FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] 
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] 
CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Here's some info from CPU-Z.

I'm not certain if you need this information or not, but here it is, anyway!

CPUZinfo.jpg

I'll post my BIOS settings shortly.

Thank you for all of your help, good sir!

On the GA31M-ES2L you will be limited to an Overclock Max FSB of 343 ( wont do 400fsb) and may have to bunp the PCI up from 100 to 101 and no more than 105

Okay, I couldn't find everything you needed from that form you posted. So, I went to my CMOS MB Intelligent Tweaker menu and listed all of what is shown.

Code:
Robust Graphics Booster: [Auto]

CPU Clock Ratio: [9x]

Fine CPU Clock Ratio: [+0.0]

CPU Frequency: [3.00GHz (333x9]

CPU Host Clock Control: [Disabled]

CPU host Frequency (MHz): 333

PCI Express Frequency (MHz): 100

Performance Enhance: [Standard]

System Memory Multiplier (SPD): [Auto]

Memory Frequency (Mhz): 800 800

System Voltage Control: [Manual]

DDR2 OverVoltage Control: [Normal]

FSB OverVoltage Control: [Normal]

CPU Voltage Control: [Normal]

Normal CPU Vcore: [1.28750V]

I really hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Again, many thanks to you and anyone who helps.

Give these settings a try for 3.6 GHz, and make sure to post the VID of your chip using Real Temp. Compare the VID to the Core Voltage as read by CPU-Z while running Prime. Under the Standard Timing Control section of the BIOS (active after setting DRAM Timing Selectable to Manual), manually input the four primary RAM timings set to 5-5-5-15. Leave all of the sub-timings on AUTO (under Advanced Timing Control).

Code:
Robust Graphics Booster: Fast
CPU Clock Ratio: 9x
Fine CPU Clock Ratio: +0.0
CPU Host Clock Control: Enabled
CPU host Frequency (MHz): 400
Performance Enhance: Standard
System Memory Multiplier: 2.00
Memory Frequency (Mhz): 800
DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual

CAS Latency Time: 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5
Precharge Delay (tRAS): 15

System Voltage Control: Manual
DDR2 OverVoltage Control: Normal
FSB OverVoltage Control: Normal
FSB DeOvervoltage Control: Normal
CPU GTLREF Voltage Ratio: 0.67
CPU Voltage Control: Normal
Normal CPU Vcore: 1.28750V

Give these settings a try for 3.6 GHz, and make sure to post the VID of your chip using Real Temp. Compare the VID to the Core Voltage as read by CPU-Z while running Prime. Under the Standard Timing Control section of the BIOS (active after setting DRAM Timing Selectable to Manual), manually input the four primary RAM timings set to 5-5-5-15. Leave all of the sub-timings on AUTO (under Advanced Timing Control).

Code:
Robust Graphics Booster: Fast
CPU Clock Ratio: 9x
Fine CPU Clock Ratio: +0.0
CPU host Frequency (MHz): 400
Performance Enhance: Standard
Memory Frequency (Mhz): 800 <---Can't change
DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual <---Not an option

CAS Latency Time: 5 
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5             <----All of these are not an option, but
Precharge Delay (tRAS): 15                 CPU-Z says I am running 5-5-5-16

System Voltage Control: Manual
DDR2 OverVoltage Control: Normal
FSB OverVoltage Control: Normal
FSB DeOvervoltage Control: Normal  <--- Not an option
CPU GTLREF Voltage Ratio: 0.67  <--- Not an option
CPU Voltage Control: Normal
Normal CPU Vcore: 1.28750V

Some of these weren't listed or are not changeable. I tried to change the settings that I am able to change to what you told me, and the computer won't save them. I press F10, it restarts twice, then boots up with the factory settings.

I read somewhere that if you have a Nvidia graphics card, it can affect your overclocking somehow and won't let it save, and apply itself. :(

I'll post a picture of what I'm looking at in a few minutes.

In order to unlock the Advanced Chipset Features section of the BIOS, you need to press Ctrl+F1 at the main BIOS screen.

Okay. Trying that now.

Update:

Tried that. All settings to exactly how you said. Pressed F10, the computer restarted twice, checked CPU-Z, and everything was still set as it was before. It seems as if it's not saving the BIOS. This is pretty frustrating.

Last edited:
You have a PM.

I set all of my settings identical to what you told me to, but they don't save when I start Windows. I restarted the computer, loaded my BIOS and Advanced Settings only to find out that everything returned to the default values. The thing is, all of my changes are still there, but everything went back to "Auto" for some reason. If I change it over to "Manual," everything comes back.

I'm sure my battery is good in my motherboard...there is just something that is keeping it from loading my wanted BIOS settings.

This is what I see AFTER I have set it up like you said, and restarted. As you can see in the right column that everything is how you told me, and the left column is the factory settings. Notice how things like "CPU Host Clock Control" is disabled after the restart. Also, PCI-E Frequency return to "Auto" rather than 100.

img263.jpg
img264.jpg

Try again w/ your existing settings, but also change the following; the main one being tRFC (Refresh to ACT Delay)...

Code:
DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual 
Refresh to ACT Delay: 55
Static tRead Value: 8

Last edited:
That seems to have worked for 1 of my processors. Windows reads one processor is still at 3 and the other is at 3.6.

CPU-Z is reading only 3.0.

scrnshot.jpg

The lowered multiplier and Vcore as shown in CPU-Z is due to the fact that C1E and EIST are enabled in the BIOS. Load the system w/ Prime and watch the Vcore and multiplier; Core Speed will also change to 3.6 GHz to match the System Information tool. In CPU-Z in the Specification field, where it shows E8400 @ 3.0 GHz; that's the default clock of an E8400. You want to read the Core Speed field under the CPU tab for the effective clock.

Back