• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e8400+Mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jzenso

Registered
Hi,
IM new here and I hope im not breaking any rules by posting this here...

Im getting a intel e8400 processor & I wanted to know what is your prime choices for motherboards to utilize this with? and yes i do want to overclock...

I'd look into a P5Q-E assuming it has all of the extras you need. High FSB's, descent onboard NB/SB cooling (better than the P5Q vanilla), handles 45nm extremely well, and has been a very stable performer for me. I bought mine as an Open Box for like $100 or so. It runs my E8600 @ 4.3GHz / 1900FSB on fairly quiet air - cake. There is really no need to go with a X38/X48 based MoBo - the P45 is well suited to the 45nm CPU's (the P45 actually seems to OC better on Quads than an X48 MoBo!)

Azroth - LOL - You still have my quote in your sig :p

Hi,
IM new here and I hope im not breaking any rules by posting this here...

Im getting a intel e8400 processor & I wanted to know what is your prime choices for motherboards to utilize this with? and yes i do want to overclock...

i5 is out. i7 isn't that expensive. Not much more money for much newer stuff.

Otherwise, P5QE is great.

Aztroth: As far as a budget i don't really want go over $200 for a mobo, Only for the time being I just need something now to work with.
Randyman & Theocnoob: Would the P5Q-E be the best choice for the e8400 processor? Are there any other boards you would choose from?

PS. Thanks for the helpful input guys

I doubt you'd get any more speed or performance out of an e8400 than what a P5Q-E would give you. 500FSB @ 9x = 4.5GHz. Unless you are on a serious water setup or above, I doub't you'd get much beyond that. 500FSB isn't guaranteed, but highly probable on a P5Q-E. The P5Q-Deluxe goes up to 16-Phase Power - likely a good idea for a Quad - but I think the P5Q-E would be ideal for a Dual Core as long as it has all of the bells and whistles you need. Something like a Maximus Formula II might give you minuscule improvements - nothing you'd notice in a real-world setting...

:cool:

Thanks randyman for all the information...
I am going to go with the p5q-e mobo...
I do have a question and i did post it in the proper forum but maybe you could assist me..
what is a better choice for RAM? Im looking at OCZ reapers & the crucial ballistix tracer...

I heard tons of good stuff about the low-voltage OCZ Blades, and picked up a set. DDR2-1150 / 4GB. I like them - and they run cool :)

I'm not the best one to ask on RAM - there are many many more qualified people that might chime in...

Good luck with your build! I was impressed with the improvement from P5B-E to P5Q-E in PC#2 in my sig. I also swapped out a Maximus Formula for a P5Q-Deluxe in PC #1 in my sig - I like the cheaper P45 P5Q-Deluxe better than the more expensive X38 Maximus Formula :)

hmmm ocz blades?..ill have to research on that...
and thank you for the good luck wishes i am crossing my fingers once i get all of this in..
I mainly using this PC for my vci-100 arcade mod & photoshop/illustrator work...

OK having trouble finding a p5q-e deal wise, what is another good board aside from the e?

I think I spotted 1 or 2 in our very own Classifieds. Oops - I forgot you might not have Classified access established yet since you are a newer user. Sprry...

In my case, to get 4.335GHz (8.5*510) with E8400 + UD3P; I just set 8.5*510MHz and increased my vCore from VID (1.1825v) to 1.280v. Everything else is Auto, so I'd say that was pretty easy.

You might get by with a cheaper P35 mobo if you can find one..the P35 chipset handles 45nm chips pretty good and has the headroom for decent clocking. I have never maxed out mine, but it is real stable, and no hiccups so far and it is now a year old.
Whatever you go with, make sure you have a power supply that is over what you need for stability and future upgrade-ability.
I won't be presumptive and say my board is the best, but you might want to look into it and others like it.
If you haven't already bought the e8400, you may want to look at the E5200...they are both Wolfdale cores...the E5200 has a smaller cache, and a way smaller price... and I hear that some of these little puppies can easily do 4gigs, but you should do your own research to see for yourself. Look for reviews for the mobo you are interested in and the cpu...Just remember when looking at reviews some of those people reviewing parts are morons so you will need to do like the Olympics and throw out the best and worst views and look to the average review and draw your own conclusions.
The P5Q-E seems to be a good board if you can afford it though.
Hope this helps you make a choice.

Back