• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gahhh! I spilled nail polish remover on my laptop!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Abby34

Please please please, any help appreciated.

I spilled a pretty good amount of nail polish remover on my computer. I immediatly turned it off, dried the keys, and flipped it upside down, thinking I would be okay because it evaporates really quickly. But now my keys only work some of the time, and I have trouble opening any programs. Everything seems to look funny or act funny.

What do I do? Can I safely remove the keys without breaking them? Should I clean out the inside with water or maybe rubbing alcohol? Help!

The laptop is pretty old, three years I think, definitely not under the warranty, and I have no type of insurance or protection on it. Anything that might prevent me from having to buy a new one (since I definitely don't have the money) would be appreciated.

Theres a good chance that your laptop will need more repair than just a cleaning. Nail polish remover has acetone in it, and acetone eats plastic. Im thinking some of your keys are probably warped near the contacts. Cleaning it with alcohol is worth a try, but because of the nature of the substance you spilled on it, Im not betting on it to work.

Last edited:
I use acetone on my mother boards/ vid cards all the time. So that part should be fine.

But as Sir Barton has pointed out, acetone eats plastic, I'd say you'll need a new keyboard at best. You will also have to check any wires that may have got acetone on them.

Back