• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Somewhat NEW @ OC'ing, could use some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoeN

New to this Forum so HELLO to everyone :)

System specs: i7 920 CO/C1, P6T MB (not deluxe), 3x1GB Corsair XMP 1600 Ram, GTX 260 Graphic Card, Win. XP SP 3, PC P&C 610w, Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme, Bios ver. 0403, Lian Li -

I have been very slowly OC'ing this setup, going up in increments of (5) with the BCLK, NO problems up to and including BCLK of 155 with following specs:

Ai tuner - manual
CPU ratio - x20
BCLK - 155
Dram Freq. - 1554
UCLK - 3263
Dram timings - 8 8 8 21 1t
CPU Volts - 1.275
QPI/Dram core volts - 1.28
Dram volts - 1.64

Now comes the problem, when I change the above specs now to:

BCLK - 160
Dram Freq. - 1604
UCLK - 3368
(all other specs the same)

When I continue out of the Bios from making these changes the computer will boot but I get a message the system has to "shut down" in 60 sec., I also noticed that the amount of RAM was incorrect in Everest and "properties" of "my computer" - I let the computer shut down and try to restart, get a screen saying "OC Failure" and lets me enter the BIOS to make changes - I have tried upping the core volts slightly and the QPI/Dram volts slightly to NO avail -

I am only trying to go as far as 3.2GHz with the processor and utilize the full 1600MHz of the RAM, which at BCLK 160 I could do - I would then probably back things down a little for everyday use -

I think thats everything - any suggestions to help me reach my goal will be appreciated !!!

Thanks

Try changing the RAM timings to 9-9-9-24 and see if that helps. You don't mention the exact part numbers of the sticks. Did it default to 9-9-9-24 when you booted the first time and you changed it?

To be honest I am not sure if the RAM timings reverted back to default of 9 9 9 24, I am sure the amount of RAM installed was shown incorrect as I stated above -

I am using the wife's computer right now so I can not access the pics of the RAM, I do have the "packaging" right here and the "part or model #" shown is TR3X3G1600C9 , if that is not the # you need, let me know and I will see if I can get the right # from the pics on my computer -

Thanks

Joe

TR3X3G1600C9 is the correct part #, I did change the timings back to 9 9 9 24 2t -

I have not tried to raise the BCLK back up to 160 yet -

I changed the Command Rate last night to "2t", I had already changed the timings as suggested to 9 9 9 24 - everything seemed alright -

Tried to boot up just now and got a "OC" failure screen, NOT the BSOD - so I let the BIOS reload the default settings - this all happened with the BCLK AT 155 -

I did run the system at the above 155 BCLK settings and timings of 9 9 9 24 1t and all was good - just got the "failure with 2t setting, so I am going to go back to the 155 BCLK settings (as above) not sure WHAT to try now ?????

Any suggestions -

OK - I made some changes and have been running at 3.2GHz / BCLK 160 all day, seems to be stable, I'll give it a couple of days and if things don't poop out I'll post my new specs -

Thanks

Joe

Well the new settings look like a keeper!! Did a lot of trial & error and came up with these settings, now I can pick one setting to tweak and if / when I get another OC Failure I know which setting was to blame :)))

Ai tunner = manual
CPU Ratio = x20
BCLK = 160
Dram Freq. = 1604
UCLK = 3368
Dram timings = 9 9 9 24 2t
V core = auto
QPI/Dram core volts = auto
Dram volts = 1.64
C1E support = disable
virtualization = disable
C tech state = disable
Audio = Hi def / AC 97
On board 1394 = disable
ACPI 2.0 support = enable
Boot sequence = HDD, CD, DVD, Floppy
Quick boot = enable
Full screen logo = disable
Express gate = disable

OK, there it is, the exact way my BIOS is setup

Real temp showing 40c (no load)

Super Pi (with nothing shut down)= 12.625 sec.

Back