• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screen resolution 720 or 1080?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
So I have been looking at laptops for a while and the G50vt comes with 720p screen but can be had relatively cheaply (less then $800) or I can get something for almost double the price, with a (slgihtly) better vid card and 1080i and quad core.

The quad would be nice for what I do. I am not a heavy gamer but I do demanding tasks at work. The sticking point for me is the resolution but I dont know if I will really care that much

what is everyone's opinion on screen res?
I guess I am wondering if down the road I would regret not having the option of the higher res.

Last edited:
well 1080i=1366x768 so it isnt that much of a step up. what do you do that you need a quad core in a lappy?

well 1080i=1366x768 so it isnt that much of a step up. what do you do that you need a quad core in a lappy?

1080i does not = 1366x768.

1080i, strictly speaking, is still 1920x1080 but only half of the lines are displayed in each frame. 1366x768 is just a random resolution used by many panels. 1080i and 720p both have to be scaled to fit it.

Well its my everything computer really. I use it for mobile media, I do a lot of virtualization stuff. Not a heavy gamer and until bluray becomes supported in linux I wont be doing blu ray on the laptop. I do rip to x264

Outside of that its standard system admin stuff. Usually requires a ton of ram, which is why I am upgrading my current system.

I had an Asus G50VT for a month long trip. I only used it for browsing/email/gaming. For that I found the resolution was fine, but I'm pretty sure if it was my everyday computer I would hate it. My monitor is 1680x1050 and I wish it was higher, but I usually have 3-4 things open that I want to see all at the same time.

No such thing as an interlaced computer monitor if it's LCD anymore. (IE there's no way it's 1080i on that laptop)

Any laptop I've ever seen is progressive scan.

My Alienware does 1920 x 1200 and i think its a stupid resolution, I never use it this high and would not miss it at all

I think 720p would be fine for a laptop, especially if its less than 17". I've never worked with even a 17" that would do 1080p [or better], but I'd think that on a screen that small with such a high resolution I personally would have to start adjusting font sizes and windows dpi settings to keep everything large enough to comfortably read. Honestly, I've considered scaling my TV to 720p for desktop use and just having my games run at 1080p. Of course, my TV ghosts like mad, has terrible color, and really makes me wish I could still take it back every time I look at it, but that's because I tried to be cheap and still go big :bang head might have something to do with why I can't read it from 5 feet away under default settings...

Even still, I'd say that such a small screen doesn't need to be 1080p. The quad core though... I don't see how any enthusiast can live without one! If you can get the g50vt with a quad, I think you've got yourself a winner!

Back