• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP Laptop Battery Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tester3000

I tried to turn on my laptop (HP dv6000) yesterday (battery power) and it wouldn't turn on,, so i plugged in the AC Power. It turned on fine,, but the lightening bolt (indicates the battery is charging) started blinking instead of being on solid like it usually does. In windows (win 7),, the battery icon said [0% Plugged in, not charging].

Could someone please help me with this? The battery was working fine before this. This problem happened all of a sudden. Usually a battery dies over time not all of a sudden right? Or is a different problem? The laptop runs fine on the AC power so it shouldnt be the power brick right?

Hopefully someone can help. Thank you in advance.

Obviously its not the power adapter but it could certainly be a bad battery. Could also be the charging system in the laptop but without a new battery to try I don't know of a good way of diagnosing it further.

Ya thats what i was afraid of. I don't really want to buy a new battery n then find out that the charging unit on the mobo was fried... Batteries are like $60-70 :| BTW laptop is 2 years old and out of warranty. Never had a single problem before this. And battery life was was still good (around 3hrs). And its not a windows issue either,, its purely hardware.. Cuz the laptop is supposed to charge when its off,, but even when its off the battery charging light blinks instead of being steadily on. Thanks for the quick reply though..

Hi

A little test -

Power down the computer, unplug the AC Adapter, remove the battery for 30 seconds or so then put it back in.

a) Power up the comptuer, if there is any charge at all the indicatror (shift, nim lock, scroll) lights will flash. If that is all you get then you know that either the battery or the charging side of the power supply are the problems.

b) Reconnect the AC Adapeter and power up the computer, does it show the battery taking a charge? No, so you have to make a decision - power supply or battery? I would go for the battery they easier to change out.

If on the other hand the computer actually starts then you fixed the problem. Sometimes the battery gets miss aligned and then it will not charge, the newer batteries have better connectors but it still happens on occasion.

Hope this helps...

I did step a (try to power up the laptop with just the battery). I got no response whatsoever. I charged the battery a few days ago so it should still have some charge left... Thanks for the help so far guys. When i connect the AC power, the charging light goes on for about 10seconds but then starts blinking again.

But could a battery just die out of the blue like that? Anyone else have any experiences? It was working fine a few days ago. I did take the battery out and plug it back in while the laptop was on (AC powered),, a day before this problem happened. Is that a bad thing to do? Would that have anything to do with it? And BTW,, my AC adapter sometimes makes a small spark at the wall outlet when i plus it in. Is that normal?

I would bet on the battery also, if it is two years old.

Actially your battery lasted about six months longer than most of the newer batteries, the life of a newer ones is 18 months. My T-30 batterys last about a year.

Taking the battery out while the ac adapter is plugged in won't hurt it.

Did you power the computer down, disconect the ac adapter, and remove the battery for 30 seconds or so?

Yaa, i did the whole power down -> disconnect ac -> disconnect battery -> plug battery in after ~30seconds -> plug in ac -> power up. Still no luck. Well if you guys really this its the battery,, i'll go ahead and buy a new one. I hope i'm not throwing $70 into a sinking boat..

Do you guys know of a good place to buy laptop batteries? Should i go with HP,, or are the other "no name" ones ok? Thanks for are you help guys :)

Laptop model: HP DV6631CA (says DV6000 on the case)
Battery replacement: 446507-001

try reinstalling the power management software go to device manager and under batteries, uninstall the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery. go to actions on the menu bar and select ’scan for hardware changes.

i had this same problem on a dv6000 a couple days ago, what fixed it for me iirc was i took out the battery hold down the power button, then booted with just the ac line then rebooted with the battery back in. I think there is also a bios update.
the dv6000 series seems to be plagued by this problem

Last edited:
WAIT!!! dont buy battery yet! those laptop batterys had a recall you might be eligible for a free replacement let me look for the link..if not just call hp i got mine replaced for free :)

found it! http://bpr.hpordercenter.com/hbpr/

When i plugged in my laptop info into that website,, it said my battery was not eligible. Oh well...

And i did try reinstalling the acpi battery driver too. Didn't help. I also tried freezing my battery in my fridge,, that didnt work either lol

relate to hp dv6000

there must be a problem of laptop battery,you can replace another one:screwy:

You guys were right =) I am so happy it wasnt some other problem. I bought a generic battery off ebay for $35 and popped it in. Now my laptop works great :) Thank you all so much for your time and help. Never thought a battery could die out of the blue like that but oh well, atleast my problem is fixed now. The generic battery even has more mAh than stock :)

Do you guys know of a good place to buy laptop batteries? Should i go with HP,, or are the other "no name" ones ok? Thanks for are you help guys :)

Laptop model: HP DV6631CA (says DV6000 on the case)
Battery replacement: 446507-001

Just like you, I have a Gateway laptop, an original battery with a short standby time, at first I think I should go to the Gateway to buy an original battery, but the price let me have to compare the original and replacement battery.

At last I choose a replacement battery(the original battery is too expensive, and if the original battery is the same bad performace as I used before, I will lose money and battery.) So I try the replacement battery.

I specially find a website which can teach me how to maintain the battery, and I bought a replacement battery from there, up to now, the battery works very well. So I think you can try a replacement battery.

http://www.cheap-laptop-battery.co.uk/laptop-batteries/hp-pavilion-dv6000-series.htm

There are the battery tips below the website.

Last edited:
I tried to turn on my laptop (HP dv6000) yesterday (battery power) and it wouldn't turn on,, so i plugged in the AC Power. It turned on fine,, but the lightening bolt (indicates the battery is charging) started blinking instead of being on solid like it usually does. In windows (win 7),, the battery icon said [0% Plugged in, not charging].

Could someone please help me with this? The battery was working fine before this. This problem happened all of a sudden. Usually a battery dies over time not all of a sudden right? Or is a different problem? The laptop runs fine on the AC power so it shouldnt be the power brick right?

Hopefully someone can help. Thank you in advance.

My friend works for geeksquad and told me that my old laptop either has a dead battery or a faulty power cord. its not the AC power in your case. it appears your battery is dead. a battery can die for many reasons. my hp touchpad battery gave out on me all of the sudden 3 weeks into owning it, so to answer your question, yes it can die out of no where.

Back