• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Sprint Smartphone?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juane414

I'm moving back to the USA next month and am going to be getting a new cell phone. Anyone want to offer their 2 cents? I am most likely going to be going with Sprint, since I can get a decent discount through them. I would like to get a touchscreen smartphone and a hard qwerty keyboard is not necessary as long as the device has a decent on screen keyboard. I despise Apple so the iPhone is not an option (the fact that iPhone isn't on Sprint is a given). Blackberrys are nice, but I would prefer something with a touchscreen, and the Storm is not that great. Sprint has the Palm Pre, which looks nice but the keyboard looks really tiny and WebOS is lacking app development right now. Windows mobile 6.5 looks decent as does the HTC Touch Pro 2, but it's $349 with contract! The other phone I was looking at is the HTC Hero coming out October 11th. Rumors say that Motorola is in talks with other US carries to try and sell the Motorola Cliq, which would be a good Hero alternative if it makes it to Sprint. I have never used a phone with Android or with WebOS, so what is your take?

The choices are pretty small. BB Tour but you don't get your touchscreen. Pre, awsome OS wrapped in subpar hardware. They are saying the later builds are much better though but take that for what us worth. Then you have the TP2. Very nice phone but it is huge, and so is the price tag, $450 up front. The Hero is going to stay an unknown until it is realease and we know what we are going to have. You can go ahead and toss the Palm Pixi in there. Its a candy bar style smartphone with a centro sized keyboard running WebOS using slower that Pre processors. If it was me I would take the Pre.

i would go with the palm pre hands down man... iv had all the windows mobile phones from sprint and i have got to admit the pre is by far the best phone i have ever used..... ever....

before i got the pre i had the touch pro and i was really into the custom roms n **** like that but nothing compares to the pre its just so sleek so thin compared to the TP and sooo trouble free

the only times iv had to restart the phone is when i apply a new hack... i felt like i had to reboot my touch pro at least once every day or every other day for various reasons....

yea the windows mobile market has a lot more apps but it doesnt matter the pre is by far the best...

you should check out precentral.net they have over 200 homebrew apps and you can install them to your phone via a homebrew installer app similar to cidia from the iphone

i highly recommend the pre you should atleast give it a try... if you dont like it you can always return it within 30 days as long as its not physically damaged

the only con to the pre is that there is no expandable storage...

I just saw these two favorable reviews about the HTC Hero. One is from cnet and one is from phonedog.

The cnet review said that the phone could be sluggish, but supposedly a new firmware update was just released today that helps to speed it up, at least according to phonedog. The cnet device possibly didn't have the update yet. Also, Android 1.6 is on it's way that has some of it's own improvements.

I think I'm going to go with the Hero.

If I do end up getting the Hero I'll be sure to post a review with some pictures and video.

Last edited:
hmm the hero isnt to appealing to me i installed the hero os onto my room mates g1 and it pretty much worked just like my old touch pro...

Might want to check out the palm pixie when it comes out, similar to the pre but with no slide and a full qwerty keyboard.

hmm the hero isnt to appealing to me i installed the hero os onto my room mates g1 and it pretty much worked just like my old touch pro...

It worked just like the touch pro? Doesn't the touch pro run Windows Mobile? They should be completely different.

The Hero might not be the best phone in the world but it looks like it will be the best Android phone so far.

I am a G1 user, and as been pointed out, Sprint will be getting the Hero.

xtkhom3r, the Hero runs like crap on the G1 because of the Hardware requirements. The Hero is actually supposed to have a faster processor and more ram, which is why the Hero rom runs so poorly on the G1. All attempts at cacheing/ramdisking has made the rom a little faster, but still way more laggy than a regular G1 rom.

If the Hero runs smoothly, it will be an awsome rom to have, unfortunately I am with T-Mobile and much prefer the Hard Keyboard over the VK.

I'd say the palm pre.. It was released a bit early so there are some missing features that should have been on it to begin with, but with time I'm sure they'll be available(video camera, flash, msn messenger..!, a freakin alarm where I can actually choose which days I want it to go off rather than just selecting weekday or weekend -.-) I've been one of the lucky ones that got it during the release date and have had no problems with it at all. Best smartphone I've owned so far.

The Pre looks like great hardware... but I'm a little concerned with the support for webOS. It looks like a great operating system, but Palm is the only phone manufacturer that is using it so far. Android, on the other hand, is starting to become really popular and is gaining a lot of momentum. This will mean more development and available apps in the long run. There is a slew of Android phones on the way so I see this as the beginning of something big. Plus... I'm a huge fan of open source stuff and Google. I'll get the Pre if it really impresses me, but I'm more excited about the software on the HTC Hero than the hardware on the Pre. If the Hero is really slow and laggy and the Pre is fast and snappy I might reconsider, but Android is the big factor for me.

I'd say the palm pre.. It was released a bit early so there are some missing features that should have been on it to begin with, but with time I'm sure they'll be available(video camera, flash, msn messenger..!, a freakin alarm where I can actually choose which days I want it to go off rather than just selecting weekday or weekend -.-) I've been one of the lucky ones that got it during the release date and have had no problems with it at all. Best smartphone I've owned so far.

it has flash :confused: :screwy:

Back