• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Netbook on the Horizon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

updawg

StarCraft II Fanatic
I'm just trying to get information on any upcoming netbooks that will be released before christmas. Something that maybe packed with nvidia ion or any thing that will pack more power then current gen netbooks. I'm just looking for a sub $500 ultra portable netbook more powerful then current atom/intel integrated graphics.

ur gonna wanna look to pine trail commin out in october ish. If i were you i would wait till it comes out... the current atom cpus just dont have the processing power, even on something like the ION platform, anything cpu dependent... IE flash... brings it to its knees.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Pine-Trail-View-Launch,8046.html

tiz gonna be SICK! ... CPU is gonna be very similar to the i5 1156 chips with an integrated graphics core... Meaning pine trail will have a cpu that has a DMI Link to the PCH, an IMC, and a integrated pcie controller ALL on the cpu. all at super low tdp's n much better performance.

Last edited:
Eh, the Atom's seem to handle flash just fine, like youtube, flash games, etc. lets just HOPE that it have decent video processing.

I'm extremely interested in the new pine trail netbooks too. The other day was my b-day and the wife wants to buy me a netbook. I've told her to hold off until this new one is released since it "may" be right around the corner. Anyone seen any firm reports that they'll be available next month?

I was a big proponent of Atom powered netbooks when they reached the 10" form factor and owned an ASUS 1000H. But with the recent release of Intel's CULVs + GMA4500MHD in laptops, such as the Aspire 1410 which at times can be had for as little as $400, I don't think anyone in that price range should be considering notebooks with Atom. The 1410 has better performance, can match battery life and maintains the same low weight as other Atom powered notebooks in that same price range. Plus, we'll soon start to see dual core CULVs being released in these laptops which will increase the performance gap even further. I think that's what you should keep your eye on.

I was a big proponent of Atom powered netbooks when they reached the 10" form factor and owned an ASUS 1000H. But with the recent release of Intel's CULVs + GMA4500MHD in laptops, such as the Aspire 1410 which at times can be had for as little as $400, I don't think anyone in that price range should be considering notebooks with Atom. The 1410 has better performance, can match battery life and maintains the same low weight as other Atom powered notebooks in that same price range. Plus, we'll soon start to see dual core CULVs being released in these laptops which will increase the performance gap even further. I think that's what you should keep your eye on.

Agreed. CULVs don't really cost that much more, and the the performance is much better than anything Atom based. At this point I'm waiting for more of them to come out rather than just buying a netbook now.

do you have a netbook.... because flash performance on the current atom is hardly what i would call fine.

Matter of fact, I have a 1000HA and I can watch youtube videos, flash app's (on websites), flash games, and some basic games just fine. A lot of people bash the atom (and they have every right to) on it's flash processing, but based on what i have experienced, it handles just fine.

What i find amusing about the CULV is that it's a $100-200 CPU (or so) that does [email protected].
My e5200 does [email protected], cept it's a dual core :p
(Hmm, my info might be old, have they gotten cheaper?)

I've found the atom to do flash in XP quite happily. It cannot do smooth flash in linux, you can forget smooth youtubing, it's frustrating. It's more a linux issue then an atom issue, ubuntu needs more efficient flash.

I love my dell mini9, it's great. You can forget playing any game made after 2003, but older stuff works great. It's great fun to play morrowind for two or three hours where ever you want to :D

i will say they do flash decently with the flash video at their normal size... but if you scale it full screen or youtube hq your done.

But ya at this point in time with the next gen atom on its way theres not really a point of buying a netbook right now unless you can score a great deal on one.... got my dell mini 9 back in the day for 100 bucks brand new (dell had a deal buy a studio 15 and get a mini 9 for 100 bucks, a friend of mine was buying a studio 15 told me about it... needless to say was over at his house 5 min later with a benjamin in my hand)

Matter of fact, I have a 1000HA and I can watch youtube videos, flash app's (on websites), flash games, and some basic games just fine. A lot of people bash the atom (and they have every right to) on it's flash processing, but based on what i have experienced, it handles just fine.

Agreed, my Atom based netbook running Intel Moblin runs flash media perfectly fine and does so even at full screen

ur gonna wanna look to pine trail commin out in october ish. Pine trail will have a cpu that has a DMI Link to the PCH, an IMC, and a integrated pcie controller ALL on the cpu. all at super low tdp's n much better performance.

Maybe, Maybe not...

"The IGP, it seems, won't offer a vast improvement in terms of performance and won't give NVIDIA's ION a run for its money. The N450's power credentials, however, are a marked improvement - we should be looking at netbooks with far greater battery life, and passive nettops, too."
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=18838

Seams to me as far as Atoms go the hot set-up will be a Atom 330 paired with a nvidia ion. Hope its not priced to high.

I think nvidia's ION will be powerful enough for my needs, I don't want to sacrifice battery life by going with amd neo and discrete graphics, hopefully their will be something on the market soon.

Back