• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about i5 motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Asphalizo

Registered
I've been lurking on these boards for a while now mainly cause I haven't felt I had a system worthy of talking about. Well, I'll be finishing up my new i5 system soon and so I need some help. Here is what I have so far:

Processor: Intel i5-750
HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Mobo: ???
RAM: ???
GPU: HIS Radeon HD4850 512 mb
HDD: 2x 500gb Samsung F3 Spinpoint
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650w

As you can tell I'm missing the Mobo and RAM.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a pair of 2gb G.Skill RipJaw but I'm not sure what type would be the best to get. For overclocking do I want the highest speed or the lowest latency?

My other problem is I'm not sure what mobo to get. I would really like to be able to overclock the i5 to about 3.8. What are some things I need to have on the motherboard to help make that possible?

Here are the mobos I've been considering.

Asus P7P55D
MSI P55-GD65
Asrock P55 Extreme

I really like the Asrock Extreme cause it comes with some nice features such as 8+2 phase, Quad SLI or Xfire, EuP 2.0, Debug LED, on board Reset and Power buttons, and I/O Cmos Reset Switch. If I could get some people's opinions, that would be great.

Any of those Mother board choices will get the job done. The AsRock looks interesting. +1 on the G.Skill RipJaws made for P55. I'd go with 4870 or 4890 for GPU or even Nvidia 260 in stead of the 4850.

We'll, I've already got the 4850. I got it when the 4770 came out for about $80. I'm waiting til the 5000 series comes out and then I'm going to try to grab a 4870x2.

I've read good reviews on the Asrock P55 boards, namely the P55 Deluxe which is their top of the line board. I'm probably going to go with that one for a Core i5 build here in the next week or so. The fact that you can use Socket 775 coolers on the Asrock boards saves me $40 right there which gives me more $ to spend on the motherboard.

Ok, well I'll be ordering a mobo + RAM tonight. I've narrowed my choices down to three boards.

ASUS P7P55D EVO
Phases - 12+2
Memory Slots - 4
Highest Memory Standard - DDR3 2200
PCI-E 2.0 Slots - 3 (16 or 8/8 or 8/8/4)
SLI or XFire - Both
Onboard SATA - 8
NIC - Dual
IO USB - 8
Mobo Power/Reset - Yes
IO CMOS Reset - Yes

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P
Phases - 8+2 ???
Memory Slots - 4
Highest Memory Standard - DDR3 2200
PCI-E 2.0 Slots - 2 (16 or 8/8)
SLI or XFire - Both
Onboard SATA - 8
NIC - 2
IO USB - 10
Mobo Power/Reset - none
IO CMOS Reset - none

ASROCK P55 Extreme
Phases - 8+2
Memory Slots - 4
Highest Memory Standard - DDR3 2600
PCI-E 2.0 Slots - 3 (16 or 8/8 or 8/8/4)
SLI or XFire - Both
Onboard SATA - 6
NIC - Single
IO USB - 7
Mobo Power/Reset - Yes
IO CMOS Reset - Yes

The ASUS seems to be more expensive but thanks to the RAM combos on newegg it comes out to about $10 more than the ASROCK. Same for the Gigabyte which gets some RAM combo love too. I want xfire and SLI options which is present on all three. I'm having a hard time choosing between the three so any advice or would be helpful. I don't really want to spend over $160 for a mobo so these are my choices.

I ended up getting the Asrock Extreme and G.Skill DDR3 2000 ram. The combo with the Asus p7p55d evo ended before I could buy the mobo. I might do some benchmarking on here to see how the Asrock work out.

Back