• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Choosing Media Device! ZuneHD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MonkeyMhz

ZuneHD

Review:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/17/zune-hd-review/

Thoughts? Would you take a iTouch over it?

I'm in the market for Media Player, and if possible creator. It would be handy to have a Camera and Phone in a MP3 Player but that's not really needed.

Pretty much I'm wanting a good Media Device that must be capable of Movies, Music, Photos and Internet Browsing. The ZuneHD has so far appealed to me, im looking for something with at least 8GB+ storage. I'm into 3D Arts and will also need a good device to keep in touch with people and have good web browsing capabilities.

So far Ive thought about the iPhone, but its too expensive and I'm not going to buy a Cell Phone plan just yet, so it kinda doesn't make sense. If I have to have a cellphone separate from my media device that's fine.

iTouch is something I'm also very interested in, it has many apps and is overall a great device. However its more expensive than the ZuneHD, and I know ill end up dropping the thing cuz its so curved.

ZuneHD has really got me intrigued, I like the power it has as well as the XNA extensions so If I really needed a app I could just throw something together my self. + Its capable of HD video which is extremely important to me if I need to show my demo reel on the go. Only downside is the thing can't play youtube videos, since it doesn't have flash. That may be coming in future software updates but still its a bummer.

Only thing I know of besides those that might suite me is the Meizu M8, but that's gonna be hard to get my hands on since I'm in Canada and that's all the way in Asia.

The ZuneHD isn't for release in Canada (yet, if ever?) but I can drive down to the states buy it and come back.

Should I wait, do you have suggestions, anything I should be aware of?

Thanks.

My price range is 300$ Max.
Its either a ATI 5870 or this.

The iTouch will give you a lot more apps, but I hate Apple and cannot condone purchasing their products.

So, just to say I did, I will recommend the ZuneHD, Sony X-series, or the Samsung P3. All are great multimedia players. The Zune and the Sony give you web browsers, radio, and wifi, but the Samsung has bluetooth and can be used to take phone calls like any bluetooth earpiece. ZuneHD should have apps in the future, but who knows when.

Personally, I'm done with MP3 players. Smartphones have decent enough MP3 players built in nowadays, and I just don't listen to music on the go enough to justify having a nice phone and an expensive MP3 player.

You're going to be waiting a while for the ATI 5870 anyways... why not wait for the Zune to hit Canada?

5870 wait is over. ZuneHD probably wont come to Canada anytime soon. Thats no issue though, ill just go down to the states and get it.

But yea, Is it possible to get iphone but not have a plan just a simcard and use it like a itouch until I decide to get a plan?

I like the ZuneHD way more, but it doesn't have a camera. I know the cameras suck in phones but they are great for just capturing anything funny and is a + for me. So its tough, if ZuneHD had a camera, id be sold! Maybe I should wait.

I skipped everything else after seeing you wanted an Internet browser. Unfortunately that eliminates the new Zune. I had one on release and traded it in for a 3G touch 32GB and am much happier with the device. In fact, I probably browse more on the touch than my desktop and netbook combined. That includes checking reply notis for several forums using an always open gmail tab in mobile format.

Apps like free rss reader, latest chatty(shacknews), and real racing consume far more of my tome than I'd like to admit. Of course none of this would be possible on the Zune because typing a chore on that smaller screen.

Last edited:
Back