• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gamin Laptop - Alienware - Good Choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foolios

I was thinking of going laptop for Aion since the specs are decent enough to run on mid-range pc's.
I took a look at this and figure it seems pretty decent especially for the specs of Aion:
Recommended System Specifications:
Microsoft Windows XP SP2 / Vista
*Dual Core CPU 2.0GHz or equivalent
2GB RAM
NVIDIA 6800 with 256MB RAM / ATI x800 with 256MB or higher
**15GB Hard Disk space
DVD-ROM drive
Direct X 9.0c (6/2008 update)
Sound Device
Broadband Internet Connection

The Laptop page:
http://www.alienware.com/products/M17-notebook.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-M17&Subcode=SKU-DEFAULT

If you have a better recommendation I would appreciate the feedback. This is $999. I don't feel I need to go over that price for this particular game. As a matter of fact I am almost positive that this is too much for this game, but I can't figure out on Newegg what would be the minimalist type laptop to choose from for these requirements.

Thanks so much in advance.

I know OCZ has some DIY laptops, no idea what kind of specs/options they have, but might be at least worth looking into unless someone else has something against them.

That's a nice laptop, but you could get more value elsewhere. Alienware is a bit overpriced.

This Asus would be better for the same price.
Its got twice the ram and a faster processor. The scree is 15" as opposed to the 17" of the Alienware, which is a plus for me because 17" is too big in my opinion. Also, the graphics should be better on the Asus and it should run cooler and get better battery life.

Here's an HP and a Sony Vaio that would also be slightly better for $999, and they have 16" screens if you like the bigger displays better.

Thank you for the input and links.

Is there anyone who plans to play the game Aion or something similar in requirements that might have found a laptop that's cheaper but still powerful enough to run this game?

if you live by a costco the hp dv6-1253 is pretty decent. it has the same exact specs as the hp link above except it's 16", comes with a blu-ray drive, and is around $900.

Thank you for the input and links.

Is there anyone who plans to play the game Aion or something similar in requirements that might have found a laptop that's cheaper but still powerful enough to run this game?

Are you looking for something less than $999?

I'm sure that Aion would be similar to WOW in that you cOuld play the game with a slower machine and just turn down the graphics settings.

Yes, I was thinking that those computer specs are overkill and that I could get away with a cheaper laptop. Just how much cheaper is the question.

I found a link to can you run it which checks your computer specs against games to let ya know if you have the specs to run it.
I think what it does is run dxdiag for you and compare to its database of the game you select to check with.
Problem is, I don't have every version of a laptop at each price range to see what can and what can't run it. It's too bad someone didn't make a website that lets you know that kind of thing.

Hey, there's an idea? Now someone go make their millions. =)

Yes, I was thinking that those computer specs are overkill and that I could get away with a cheaper laptop. Just how much cheaper is the question.

I found a link to can you run it which checks your computer specs against games to let ya know if you have the specs to run it.
I think what it does is run dxdiag for you and compare to its database of the game you select to check with.
Problem is, I don't have every version of a laptop at each price range to see what can and what can't run it. It's too bad someone didn't make a website that lets you know that kind of thing.

Hey, there's an idea? Now someone go make their millions. =)

Or lose millions buying every model of laptop in the world for test units :(

I think making the list would be possible without actually testing every unit.
The creators of the game post recommended and minimum specs. So that half has been figured out for the most part.
It's possible to evaluate desktop components pretty fairly. I see the biggest difficulty being in how one could evaluate mobile video cards. That would be the biggest challenge.
I think if someone could figure that part out, it would be pretty possible.

That's a nice laptop, but you could get more value elsewhere. Alienware is a bit overpriced.

I thought AW was overpriced like you until I actually purchased one, the quality of the product is great but the quality of the support is something else, its simply great.
I had a few issues with mine first of all and reached a tech guy after three rings of the phone, I was not placed into a queue or anything. The tech guy connected to my laptop, confirmed the issues and did what was required to resolved them and then called me the following day to ensure I was happy.

I even told them I wanted to run Linux on it and got a call from someone who had done this and what issues to expect and how to resolve them, they went out of my way to help me and ensure I was a hppy customer.

Incredible customer service and far far better than I have ever recieved from Apple, Acer, Asus, Sony... Im yet to see any other laptop company offer the value of decent service and thats a fact.

I just got a G50vt for $749
its got
p7350 @ 2.13
4 gigs of ddr 2 (I upgraded to 8 gigs)
320 gig 7200 rpm sata drive (has 2 hard drive bays)
and a 9800M

15.6" screen... processor upgradable to T9600

Fantastic buy if you can find one. I got mine at tigerdirect

Recommended System Specifications:
Microsoft Windows XP SP2 / Vista
*Dual Core CPU 2.0GHz or equivalent
2GB RAM
NVIDIA 6800 with 256MB RAM / ATI x800 with 256MB or higher
**15GB Hard Disk space
DVD-ROM drive
Direct X 9.0c (6/2008 update)
Sound Device
Broadband Internet Connection

My 15 inch AW Area51 m15x exceeds the spec's your looking for, its a very solid machine though and weighs a little more than the average 15inch however it has great battery performance. The 17 is pretty weighty and not what I would truly consider portable.

Area 51 m15x
WUXGA High definition screen 1920x1200
Intel Core2 Duo 2.6ghz T9500 (6mb cache - 800mhz FSB)
8GB PC2-5300 SO-DIMM
Nvidia 8700-GT 512 MB
Intel High Definition Audio
Samsung RBA MLC 256GB 2.5" SSD
Blueray Disk Burner (Smart Bay)
Intel Pro Wireless 4965AGN (a/b/g/n)
6 Cell Li-on Battery
9 Cell Li-on Battery
160 GB 7200 rpm Hard Disk (Smart Bay)
Battery (Smart Bay)
2.5 mega pixel webcam
Alien FX keyboard

I just got a G50vt for $749
its got
p7350 @ 2.13
4 gigs of ddr 2 (I upgraded to 8 gigs)
320 gig 7200 rpm sata drive (has 2 hard drive bays)
and a 9800M

15.6" screen... processor upgradable to T9600

Fantastic buy if you can find one. I got mine at tigerdirect

You can get bing cashback of 10.2% on that as well. I purchased one a few months ago for only $650 after cashback. It is a great gaming laptop for the price if you don't mind refurbs.

My GF just got an Alienware m17x last week. Sick machine. Last night our house was broken into and it was stolen. SUCK.

Back