• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

680i LT wont boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

P0RT

Registered
I have a XFX 680i LT board and everytime I attempt to boot it gives me Floppy Disk Fail and cmos checksum error. I go into the bios and disable floopy and reboot and it does the same thing. Now, when I have just 3 GB ram in it works and boots up just fine, as soon as I add the 4th stick, its like the BIOS resets itself and it gives me the cmos checksum error again, and no matter what I change in the BIOS it resets itself when the computer reboots. I changed out the cmos battery but that didnt help at all.

I have been researching elsewhere and have been seeing some other people with this sort of issue and it seems with this board, if you are using 4 sticks of 800 ram you have to set the memory timings and voltages just right manually to get it to work with this board.

Does anyone know what voltages / timings and other settings I should use to get this to work properly ? Like i said i have:

XFX 680i LT board
Quad Core Q6600 2.4
Crucial Balistix Tracers PC2-6400- 800MHz 4GB (4x1GB)

It works fine if i just have 3GB its just when i add the 4th stick, i know the ram is fine and the slots are fine, i ruled that out already. PSU is fine too.

With 3 x 1GB sticks installed, enter the BIOS and change the DRAM (Memory) Voltage to 2.2v, and the 4 primary RAM timings to CL 4-4-4-12 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS). With FSB - Memory Clock Mode on AUTO, Actual FSB (QDR), MHz should read 1066, and Actual Mem (DDR), MHz should read 800 (3:2 DRAM ratio w/ the FSB at 266MHz; default bus speed for a Q6600). Also take SPP Voltage; nForce SPP (North Bridge Voltage) off AUTO, and manually set it to 1.3v. Save and exit the BIOS, then shutdown once in Windows. Remove power to the board and reinstall the 4th stick of RAM.

I was hoping that would work. Changed the settings to what you recommend. All went well booted to windows, shutdown, unplugged power to psu, added 4th stick, powered up and gave me the floppy and checksum error again and the timings went back to 5-5-5-18 and voltages went back to auto. :(

Use this BIOS template for the XFX 680i LT to post all of your current settings. With only 3 sticks of RAM installed, boot into Windows and open RealTemp--> "Settings" page, and post the Max Core Vid of your quad. Also post a pic. w/ CPU-Z open to both the General and Memory tabs. Also post a pic. w/ MemSet open showing all of the current DRAM sub-timings...

http://www.tweakers.fr/memset.html

... and check to make sure you're running the latest BIOS revision; I believe P08 is the latest for the LT, which you can get from here (Post #282)...

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/292706-3-20-q6600-xfx-680i-lt-29.html

Attachments

• bios.jpg
    bios.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
This is after i changed all the settings to what you recommended.

settings.jpg

With CPU-Z open and while running Prime, post the Core Voltage as shown in CPU-Z. If after the Multiplier increases to x9.0 and the Core Speed increases to 2400 Mhz the Core Voltage doesn't increase to at least 1.3v (Max core VID), then manually adjust the Vcore (CPU Core Voltage) in the BIOS to match the Max Core VID as shown in RealTemp. While running Prime the Core Voltage as shown in CPU-Z should be at least equal to the VID, or slightly higher. And again, make sure you're running the latest BIOS revision.

got it.!! You settings worked Thanks for the help.

EDIT: After a while it would reboot randomly. I'm getting the board RMA.

Last edited:
Back