• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a Laptop...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

digininja

I was wanting to know if it's easy to overclock a laptop to play games better without all this lag I'm experiencing,i have averatec 7100 series with a amd processor???...looks like world of warcraft can't run good on this laptop i have and i was wanting to make it better is all,thnx guys...

Welcome!

You *may* be able to overclock your laptop using software (SetFSB or Clockgen). However it isnt reccomeneded as a laptop can barely keep up with heat removal on stock speeds, none the less higher speeds and more voltage.

I would also reccomend doing a search on this subject as it has been covered many times and there will be more specific ways to do it, and why not to. Choose your poison. :)

EarthDog is correct, I upgraded my T-30 (see sig) from a P4 - 1.8 to a 2.0 to a 2.5 the fan runs constantly now where as with the 2.0 it would shut down after a few minutes then start up again in a few, now it doesn't shut down. (This will drain the battery faster BTW).

One of the side effects of doing the CPU/Memory upgrade is the FSB went from 400 to 537 (537 not 533 - [shurg]) and I beleve that is the cause of the heat increase.

Check the manufacture's web site for the model number and see what they used as the max CPU/Memory combo's by the end of their production run.

IBM lists the T-30 with a P-4 2.0 and PC2100 memory at the end of the production run but there was a foot note that the motherboard/bios would support a P-4 up to 2.8, I didn't get that coragious even thouth I have a P-4 2.8 M I didn't use it.

Another thing you need to keep in mind is the Video Ram, how much does the laptop have and can the system memory be shared? My T-30 has 32 Meg and it can not share the System memory, thus when I loaded World In Conflict it puked on me, not enough Video ram, needs 128 meg...

Good luck with your project if you go forward with it...

Back