PDA

View Full Version : Lug broke, will krazy glue hold?

DarkArctic
01-28-02, 02:14 PM
I just broke my lug for one of my sockets while moving it to a LAN party. Will krazy glue hold it or will I need something stronger? Or am I just totally screwed? ANy help is appreciated. Thanks.

-DarkArctic

eh?
01-28-02, 02:22 PM
hmmm super glue is pushing it....

DarkArctic
01-28-02, 02:28 PM
Ya that's what I was thinking. Right now I don't have anything on it, I'm going to let it set for a little while. I'm using those waterblock clamps from DangerDen to hold onto my blocks.

-DarkArctic

eh?
01-28-02, 02:31 PM
just cake it on there and hope for the best...:D

DarkArctic
01-28-02, 02:46 PM
That's what I've done and I'm hoping beyond hope that it'll work. Do you think that I can RMA this? Any other super strong adhesive?

-DarkArctic

eh?
01-28-02, 03:18 PM
which side broke? the one you snap on first or the second one? try call who you got it from and tell them that you broke a lug maybe they will RMA it....

DarkArctic
01-28-02, 03:31 PM
It's one of the middle most used one's. I could make a new clamp in my mechanics class if I needed to. I was just thinking, I doubt that I'll be able to RMA it. I bought it off of eBay. :(

-DarkArctic

BigRed
01-28-02, 03:51 PM
epoxy is like one of the strongest adhesives made.
i say just get some arctic alumnia (so if you get some on the mobo it wont hurt it) and glue it back on.
i dont know how industrial epoxies would effect the circuitry of the mobo.

SP
01-28-02, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by BigRed

i dont know how industrial epoxies would effect the circuitry of the mobo.

If it's just epoxy then it should have no real affect on it. If however, you use somekind of metal filled epoxy then it could conceiveably cause problems even though it may not be electrically conductive when measure with a multimeter. Anyway, these silver epoxies and thermal epoxies are sometimes metal filled. I wouldn't use one of them for this. Also, some epoxies, like JB Weld, are metal filled. It should tell you somewhere on the package. Also, as a general rule the ones that look transparent and not opaque are not metal filled. So, if you do try to glue it back on try to use one like that.

Yodums
01-28-02, 11:11 PM
Hmmm sounds to me like you can't really do anything as the heatsink clips apply lots of pressure and may snap the lug off again.

Call your board manufacture first and see if they'll RMA.

Yodums

BigRed
01-29-02, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by SP

If it's just epoxy then it should have no real affect on it. If however, you use somekind of metal filled epoxy then it could conceiveably cause problems even though it may not be electrically conductive when measure with a multimeter. Anyway, these silver epoxies and thermal epoxies are sometimes metal filled. I wouldn't use one of them for this. Also, some epoxies, like JB Weld, are metal filled. It should tell you somewhere on the package. Also, as a general rule the ones that look transparent and not opaque are not metal filled. So, if you do try to glue it back on try to use one like that.
thats why i said arctic alumnia :p
its non conductive (for use on videocards and other things where u need to glue somthing in close proximity of the circuits)

downunder
01-29-02, 10:57 AM
i broke a lug off & superglued it back, i used lots because more is better!

But alas, i also glued the CPU on to the socket..it wicked in to the pins.

Next motherboard please!

DarkArctic
01-29-02, 02:23 PM
Well, I super glued it already and I'll see if it holds tonight when I get home from work. If it snaps off again I'll go out for some epoxy. Not Alumina because it's also designed for heat transfer and I don't need that. The other stuff may be stronger. Crossing my fingers.:D

-DarkArctic

Yodums
01-29-02, 07:09 PM
Arctic wheres the duct tape come in on this? :p

DarkArctic
01-29-02, 09:13 PM
Sorry, duct tape just isn't up for the task. It's just too small, I won't be able to get it all in that little space. :(
I had to check that out though. Oh, and the super glue didn't hold. I guess it's time for some of that epoxy tomorrow.

-DarkArctic

Yodums
01-29-02, 11:23 PM
Hehe I was joking! Duct tape seems to be and too messy. Best of luck to you w/ the Epoxy.

PipeBom
01-29-02, 11:50 PM
That happened to my mate. He broke off one of his clips. We used superglue to get it back in the right spot. Its good as new and is still going, although he has now watercooled it so the clip has no use.
Doesn't seem that the old superglue is gonna work for you though...
Lets hope the epoxy works. :)

DarkArctic
01-30-02, 08:31 PM
What kind of epoxy should I get. I was at my hardware store today and they all looked like crap. Anyone know of a good strong brand I should get?

-DarkArctic

res0r9lm
01-30-02, 08:46 PM
if all else fails dangerden's maze 1c has an option of eithier 1 or 3 tab clip

muddocktor
01-31-02, 09:14 AM
Just remember with epoxy that the faster the set time for it, the weaker the ultimate bond strength. Use at least a 15 minute to 1 hour set epoxy for the most bond strength.

Yodums
01-31-02, 06:39 PM
I was wondering does the VP6 only have the socket ears to mount by or does it have the 4 holes for e.g. water blocks or something?

Yodums

res0r9lm
01-31-02, 07:25 PM
it's a dually board so I don't think it would

DarkArctic
02-01-02, 10:28 AM
Nope, no room for bolt holes. The sockets are too close together for that. I'm impressed that they made room for the larger heatsinks though. And make it all fit on an ATX board.

-DarkArctic

cyberey66
02-05-02, 08:59 PM
You ever see fiberglass epoxy? It's this green fiberglass mix that seems to help pretty damn good. My brother uses it all the time. I'm not sure if that is the best epoxy though, can anyone second this?

DarkArctic
02-06-02, 07:26 PM
I'm heading off to town to check out epoxies tomorrow night. I could use some advice, I doubt the guys at Home Depot will know what needs I have. They usual respond by saying, "What's it for?" And they don't have any idea what I'm talking about when I say my computer.

-DarkArctic

DarkArctic
02-07-02, 04:51 PM
Okay, I just put on the epoxy that I got from Home Depot. Now all I need to do is wait 24 hours before it sets. I'm really anxious now. Wish me luck.

-DarkArctic

RainMaQer
02-10-02, 06:22 PM
Hey DarkArctic... I just read this thread... I'm more than sure that JBWeld will hold it on... the stuff holds upto 3900+ psi... and it says right on it that it's NOT electically conductive. ;)

Yodums
02-10-02, 07:36 PM
Hows it now?

Good Luck man even though its past 24 hours.

DarkArctic
02-10-02, 08:47 PM
Actually Yodums, I was expecting to test it out on Friday, but I ended going to my friends house for the weekend. I just got back and I'll be giving the lug the stress test tomorrow after school and work. If the epoxy doesn't work then I'll try some of that JBWeld, RainMaQer. Thanks all.

-DarkArctic

Yodums
02-10-02, 08:50 PM
OK Best of luck.

DarkArctic
02-11-02, 05:12 PM
Well, unfortunately the epoxy didn't hold.:( It did better than the super glue but it couldn't take the amount of pressure needed to hold a waterblock up. So where do I get this JBWeld stuff?

-DarkArctic