• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lug broke, will krazy glue hold?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkArctic

I just broke my lug for one of my sockets while moving it to a LAN party. Will krazy glue hold it or will I need something stronger? Or am I just totally screwed? ANy help is appreciated. Thanks.

-DarkArctic

Ya that's what I was thinking. Right now I don't have anything on it, I'm going to let it set for a little while. I'm using those waterblock clamps from DangerDen to hold onto my blocks.

-DarkArctic

That's what I've done and I'm hoping beyond hope that it'll work. Do you think that I can RMA this? Any other super strong adhesive?

-DarkArctic

which side broke? the one you snap on first or the second one? try call who you got it from and tell them that you broke a lug maybe they will RMA it....

It's one of the middle most used one's. I could make a new clamp in my mechanics class if I needed to. I was just thinking, I doubt that I'll be able to RMA it. I bought it off of eBay. :(

-DarkArctic

epoxy is like one of the strongest adhesives made.
i say just get some arctic alumnia (so if you get some on the mobo it wont hurt it) and glue it back on.
i dont know how industrial epoxies would effect the circuitry of the mobo.

BigRed said:

i dont know how industrial epoxies would effect the circuitry of the mobo.

If it's just epoxy then it should have no real affect on it. If however, you use somekind of metal filled epoxy then it could conceiveably cause problems even though it may not be electrically conductive when measure with a multimeter. Anyway, these silver epoxies and thermal epoxies are sometimes metal filled. I wouldn't use one of them for this. Also, some epoxies, like JB Weld, are metal filled. It should tell you somewhere on the package. Also, as a general rule the ones that look transparent and not opaque are not metal filled. So, if you do try to glue it back on try to use one like that.

Hmmm sounds to me like you can't really do anything as the heatsink clips apply lots of pressure and may snap the lug off again.

Call your board manufacture first and see if they'll RMA.

Yodums

SP said:

If it's just epoxy then it should have no real affect on it. If however, you use somekind of metal filled epoxy then it could conceiveably cause problems even though it may not be electrically conductive when measure with a multimeter. Anyway, these silver epoxies and thermal epoxies are sometimes metal filled. I wouldn't use one of them for this. Also, some epoxies, like JB Weld, are metal filled. It should tell you somewhere on the package. Also, as a general rule the ones that look transparent and not opaque are not metal filled. So, if you do try to glue it back on try to use one like that.
thats why i said arctic alumnia :p
its non conductive (for use on videocards and other things where u need to glue somthing in close proximity of the circuits)

i broke a lug off & superglued it back, i used lots because more is better!

But alas, i also glued the CPU on to the socket..it wicked in to the pins.

Next motherboard please!

Well, I super glued it already and I'll see if it holds tonight when I get home from work. If it snaps off again I'll go out for some epoxy. Not Alumina because it's also designed for heat transfer and I don't need that. The other stuff may be stronger. Crossing my fingers.:D

-DarkArctic

Sorry, duct tape just isn't up for the task. It's just too small, I won't be able to get it all in that little space. :(
I had to check that out though. Oh, and the super glue didn't hold. I guess it's time for some of that epoxy tomorrow.

-DarkArctic

That happened to my mate. He broke off one of his clips. We used superglue to get it back in the right spot. Its good as new and is still going, although he has now watercooled it so the clip has no use.
Doesn't seem that the old superglue is gonna work for you though...
Lets hope the epoxy works. :)

What kind of epoxy should I get. I was at my hardware store today and they all looked like crap. Anyone know of a good strong brand I should get?

-DarkArctic

Just remember with epoxy that the faster the set time for it, the weaker the ultimate bond strength. Use at least a 15 minute to 1 hour set epoxy for the most bond strength.

Back