• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P6td Deluxe OC DDR3-2000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Living Waters

Registered
Hi guys I am new to the forms and I will be building a gaming PC based on these parts,

Core i7 920 2.66Ghz, Asus PT6D Deluxe mobo, Corsair Dominator 6GB PC3-1600 (DDR3-2000) Corsair 1000 watt PS, Radeon HD 5870 Video and the CPU will be cooled by Corsair Hydro H50 CPU water cooler.

I am new to overclocking and have read lots of info on the subject. I would like to over clock the core i7 920 to 3.4 GHz I know I can go to 4 GHz but I like to play it safe and stick with a stable 3.4GHz or 3.2GHz.

My question is what would be the best settings in the BIOS for this and utilize the DDR3-2000 to its fullest.

I don’t have the parts yet but would like to get a good idea of how I would be doing it once I get these parts. I have been reading about the Core i7 920 and some say that the CPU Multiplier is locked. I have downloaded a calculator (NehalemCalc) that gives me the settings I would need to achieve the full DDR3 buss speeds running at 2000MHz here is the calculations… Bclock 200, CPU Multi 17, QPI Multi 18, Uncore Multi 20, Mem Multi 10 …. This would give me CPU clock of 3400, QPI 3600, Un Core clock 4000, Mem clock DDR3-2000

My question to this is, if the CPU Multi is locked how would I set it to get DDR3-2000 and overclocked CPU speed at 3.4GHz? or 3.2GHz? would I have to adjust voltages? Like I said before I don’t have the Asus Pt6D Deluxe board yet so I would not know what the BIOS would look like, if anyone has this board or any idea please post up some simple instructions. Thank you for all the information that you guys have on the forms they really help.

The CPU multi is locked upward...you can use lower multis. So the 920 will use the 20 multi by default or 21 w/ turbo enabled, but alot of guys are using the 19 multi or even lower for various reasons. Since the memory multi can be set independently there are likely several viable options for you. Fiddling with them is really the best way to find out which makes you grin.

Do you have a link to that calculator? I'd fiddle with that at some point.

The CPU multi is locked upward...you can use lower multis. So the 920 will use the 20 multi by default or 21 w/ turbo enabled, but alot of guys are using the 19 multi or even lower for various reasons. Since the memory multi can be set independently there are likely several viable options for you. Fiddling with them is really the best way to find out which makes you grin.

Do you have a link to that calculator? I'd fiddle with that at some point.

Sure here is the link: http://icrontic.com/downloads/nehalem-overclocking-calculator

Oh ok so from what you are saying the CPU multiplier is not locked for lower settings.. so with that said, it can be set lower… then I would have the solution to this would be… if I wanted to OC the 920 to 3.4 I would have to set the CPU Multi to 17. it would look some thing like this in the BIOS settings

1. Turn off Turbo
2. maybe leave HT on depends on the test
3. Bclock set at 200
4. CPU Multi set at 17
5. QPI multi 18 (or on auto don’t know yet until actual testing)
6. Uncore Multi set at 20 (or on auto don’t know yet until actual testing)
7. Mem Multi 10 (or on auto don’t know yet until actual testing)

With the NehalemCalc the calculation point to the settings of:

CPU clock@ 3400
QPIclock@ 3600
UnCoreclock@ 4000
Memclock@ DDR3-2000

Keep in mind I don’t have the board yet so I can not do the actual testing until I get PC built, this is just a rough draft of what I think I need to change in the BIOS to achieve an OC of 3.4 or 3.2 GHz

Sounds reasonable, but even with Hyperthreading & Turbo on you should be able to clock higher than that and still control the heat with aftermarket air cooling. 3.6 - 3.7 before turbo shouldn't be too much trouble for decent air. My 920 isn't a particularly good clocker and it does 3.7 without much effort. I tested it briefly with the Ultra 120 and temps went up 5-10c over my usual water loop, but it stayed under 70c even with lengthy encode jobs(8hrs+), turbo, & HT on.

you don't need to decrease multi to get 3.4, actually with that rig is pretty easy to get to 3.6, 180 BLKC. Check memory multi if you increase CPU BLCK :)

Back