• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Foxconn Motherboard swap and...problems!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

simonhla

Hello there everyone. I am completely new to the board and have registered specifically to ask the following questions. Having trawled the internet for days, this seemed the most likely place to find answers.

Firstly, I am a bit of a novice but thankfully I am also not a complete dummy and do learn quickly. I have just done my first semi-build. I say semi because it wasn't a ground up install.

I got a free Dell Vostro 400 from work. It had an E4500 in it, no video card, a 300W power supply and a Foxconn G33m02 motherboard..... I got some extra RAM (mushkin 1gb x2 latency 4), a radeon hd 4650 and a 400w power supply to start with. I was being cheap......

Then I realized i wanted to up the processor. The G33M02 doesn't support quads and I was going to put an E8400 in there but then a found a really cheap deal locally for a G33M03 instead so I picked it up. The reason i did this rather than buy another 775 socket motherboard was because this one was a Del original and that meant I wouldn't have to reload my operating system as apparently you have to do with Dell systems.

Anyway, I swapped it in yesterday and also put in a q6600 (which was the point).

Two things happened that I cannot solve. First, it will not boot with any ram in slots 3 and 4. If ram is in slots 1 and 2 it is fine. Secondly I get on boot up..."AHCI Bios not installed". It does this every time but doesn't seem to adversely affect the performance of the computer otherwise.

I flashed the latest Dell Vostro 400 bios 1.0.15 but that has solved neither problem. I am wondering/asking if they are related and if there is an obvious solution I am missing.

Finally could it just be that the motherboard is bunk?

Any help for this novice in need would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

well it sounds like 2 of the dimm slots are dead/damaged. since the board will not boot with memory in slots 3/4. though for dual channel mode it should be slots 1/3 or 2/4, unless the FC board is just weird.

as for the AHCI, it could have something to do with a option not on that board. though the bios is still programed or looking for that option. it is nothing to worry about and the two problems are not related.

Back