• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p55 Tri Fire or 3 Way Sli

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
P55 can not, but certain boards carry the NV200 media chip. which adds another 32 PCIE 2.0 lanes on the board. now how many get used is hard to say, when i read one review of a board. it sounded like that only 16 were being used then split to 8/8 when cards were in slots 2/3. it really depends on how the manufacture wants to implement the NV200 chip. IMO it is a waste to not use all 32lanes from that chip for 3 x16 slots on the board, 2 from nv200+onboard pcie lanes from the cpu.

so a pci-e slot that can be used for Physx cannot be used for a third card for graphics purposes? My P55 FTW has 3 pci-e and according to evga it's for Physx. This wouldnt work for SLI because of the lack of NV200 like evilsizer stated but what about crossfire?

reason being NV didnt certify the board for 3way sli is the 3rd slot is at x4. NV will only allow x8 min for a 16x slot, for sli certification. ATI's CF is a bit different, they have a min of x4 for 16x slots, so you could do CF in say 16/8/4 or 16/4/4, etc. though i cant find if ATI's 3 way CF certification is that loose, it might be. if they are with just 2 way cf i dont see why it wouldnt be that loose for 3way.

evga's site has no mention of it being CF certified but since it is P55 i would assume it is by nature. this is really a tuff call, since EVGA is a NV OEM....

well right from Asus site
asus said:
Quad-GPU SLI and Quad-GPU CrossFireX Support!

Flexible Multi-GPU solutions, Your Weapon of Choice!
P7P55 WS SuperComputer brings you the multi-GPU choice of either SLI™ or CrossFireX. The motherboard features the most powerful Intel P55 platform to optimize PCIe allocation in multiple GPU configurations. Expect a brand-new gaming style you’ve never experienced before!

looks like your good to go! :thup:

for the price of that board though i would look at one of these four instead. no sense is spending big on a midrange socket, might as well go with LGA1366 over 1156 at that price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131359
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186161
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186169

Thanks for the info!! None of those boards have the proper spacing for 4 gpus most likely they mean 4 gpu via 4870x2 crossfire or gtx 295 sli. Well since i have the i5 750 already i want to stay 1156 unless i could fine me a nice i7 920 for $220 or so. i wish i lived near a microcenter. :(

well normally quad cf/sli is a single card with 2 gpu's. there is a guy over at XS using this board i think or another one similiar to it. as he has early drivers doing a 4 card CF testing with 5870 or was it 5850's.

idk your circumstances, or if you just poop money, but 3 of any card is a waste, unless your res is at like 5000 by 10000.

what will your res and games be?

but im also 17, and only make like $20 a week, so i really cant say much.

Just put the FTW on ebay. Gonna try the Supercomputer out. Thanks for the help evilsizer. And if you find a link to that thread please post it.

idk your circumstances, or if you just poop money, but 3 of any card is a waste, unless your res is at like 5000 by 10000.

what will your res and games be?

but im also 17, and only make like $20 a week, so i really cant say much.

1920x1080. Well its not that i have unlimited cash or i'd get me something like the x58 classided 4 way sli with 4 gtx 285s, etc. It's just that i have some old stuff lying around from previous builds that if i sell the total cost of the upgrade will be around $200. Im a college student on scholarship and i live at home so i have no expenses.

Awesome. I think i will do just that. What p55 do you recommend? GD 80 looks good oooh the maximus III formula would look awesome with the color scheme of both my ripjaws and the new 58x0 x2 cards

Back