• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

give me your input

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gregers05

ok guys im having a tough time figuring out what MB i want. well, I WANT a ansus P6T Deluxe v2 but i honestly dont know that i will use it to its full potential and I dont know if i should be spending the money on it for what I want to get out of it. i dont know if I can really justify the money on the p6t deluxe. so here is some of the MBs ive been looking at and here is the comparision of them on newegg. what would you guys recommend? SLI/Crossfire isnt necisarrily a need. It would be nice but it would be a while before I got a second video card. I will be doing mostly gaming/design work on the computer.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813130220,N82E16813128375&page=2&bop=And

now i want to OC it to around 4ghz for 24/7 use.

this is what im planning to build
i7 920
Megahalem cooler with 2 fans in push/pull
PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS910 910W or 750w
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB
2 WD 640GB blacks in raid 0/1
not sure on video card yet, either 5850 or the new NVIDA card
case is a antec 900

I would go with the P6T SE or X58-UD3R. I don't think the price of the P6T Deluxe is worth it. If you're just goin single GPU and SLI/Xfire doesn't matter then just pick ASUS or Gigabyte. If dual GPU is possible in the future I would go with the UD3R b/c it has SLI and Xfire support (SLI added in BIOS update) whereas the P6T SE only supports Xfire.

I would go with the P6T SE or X58-UD3R. I don't think the price of the P6T Deluxe is worth it. If you're just goin single GPU and SLI/Xfire doesn't matter then just pick ASUS or Gigabyte. If dual GPU is possible in the future I would go with the UD3R b/c it has SLI and Xfire support (SLI added in BIOS update) whereas the P6T SE only supports Xfire.

thanks man im thinking that too.

anybody else?

I can't believe no one else has had any input...

I'm sure you've done this already, but make sure you scrounge the internet for reviews, especially OC reviews since you want 4GHz 24/7.

I can't believe no one else has had any input...

I'm sure you've done this already, but make sure you scrounge the internet for reviews, especially OC reviews since you want 4GHz 24/7.

yeah thanks man, ive been doing some research and looks like most mid to high end boards can get 4ghz pretty easily

Found the UD3R refurb at Mwave for $123
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch_v3.asp?px=FO&scriteria=Cb25889

Doesn't say what revision it is.

Hope this helps!
thanks man. but i would like to avoid refurbished things for this build especially for the MB. im sure the refurbished one works fine but it says it doesnt come with the "accessories," not quite sure what that would include but id rather pay the extra $50 to make sure it comes with everything its supposed to and in good working condition.

might not be a bad idea for someone on low budget i7 build(if there is such a thing)

just realized that the UD3 doesnt have any eSATA ports. what uses eSATA? i know not much uses it now but how much will i be missing it in the future?

i think ive ruled out MSI because for 40 bucks more i could have the P6T deluxe, which is a better board from my research.

AsRock is still tempting, but im worried about the quality of the sound driver, and some reviews that ive read said the board was kind of flimsy.

and the P6T SE, that really comes down to the quality of the sound driver.

so still kinda leaning to the P6T Deluxe just because of all the little things that may make a difference later on, plus ive heard less negative things from this board than i have from others.

anybody know where i can find reviews for onboard sound chips? im not planning on buying a sound card so it needs to have good onboard sound, and ill be using the optical input

well i havent tried for 4ghz but R2G is a good board... now if this were for a LGA1156 system i would say the GA-P55M-UD4 hands downs best mATX for 860/870's by price. higher cpu pwm phase then even Asus's M3G.

wasnt really looking at micro boards but i think mostly cause i dont know much about them.

so what are the advantages and disadvantages of a micro board?

this is going into a antec 900 so not too worried about space.

only real disadvantage is less slots on the board, maybe tighter spacing for cpu to ram. wasnt a big deal for the HS and ram im using on the P55M-UD4 or for the ninja on the R2G. really it is just a desktop board but smaller...chipset isnt different like it use to be with older lga775 boards so nothing to worry about ocing wise.

only real disadvantage is less slots on the board, maybe tighter spacing for cpu to ram. wasnt a big deal for the HS and ram im using on the P55M-UD4 or for the ninja on the R2G. really it is just a desktop board but smaller...chipset isnt different like it use to be with older lga775 boards so nothing to worry about ocing wise.

thats kinda what I figured. im kind of worried about my heatsink (megahelm) with 2 fans on it fitting in there with the ram slots being closer. i still got time to figure it out, im just collecting parts one at a time as money allows.

ended up going with the P6T deluxe. newegg had the 24 hour sale for $30 off on it.

Nice, I had a feeling you were just gonna get what you wanted to begin with anyway...:rolleyes:

Nice, I had a feeling you were just gonna get what you wanted to begin with anyway...:rolleyes:

haha well i had the UD3 in my shopping cart at one point and was ready to submit my order but backed out for some reason lol. i figured the p6t gives me more options later on to upgrade. plus honestly i got tired of going back and forth. the sale price was just enough to push me over the edge. at least this way i wont be kicking myself in a year or two if i decide to go sli

UD3R has SLI support :D

If dual GPU is possible in the future I would go with the UD3R b/c it has SLI and Xfire support (SLI added in BIOS update).

It doesn't matter now, lol. You'll be happy with the P6T, enjoy!

Back