• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help. Need motherboard for EE D965

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaiyz

I've searched both the CPU section and motherboard section and can't find a single post about the D965's. I just tried a search for 965 alone thinking I'd get I7's but nothing. No results. Search here not working?

Anyway, I have a Pentium EE D965 and want to build a cheap rig to do some photoshop, Corel, Illustrator and double as a media server etc.

I know that the intel 975x chipset supports the EE965 but can't seem to find a motherboard anywhere and very little info on the web. I'm wondering if an Asus P5E would work?

Anywone have a definitive guide as to what motherboards I can get for this thing? I only have an older MSI HD2600 512 video card and a decent 600W corsair psu, also I have a couple of sticks 2gb ea. DDR2 800, I think they're corsair as well. Not really planning on overclocking but I do like to tweak and this is mainly going to be a photoediting/media server rig. I also need SATA support.

Thanks for any info.

Chaiyz

Terrible chip to be doing photshop/corel/illustrator with, wow.

I would go to the Asus website to see if its compatible with your chip.

I also believe the X38 chipset supports that chip as well (again go to mfg website to confirm).

Terrible? Could you please explain? It's my understanding that a EE965 is a dual core with HT. I know it's no E8600 but I have it the 965 on hand, just sitting in a box. I was considering buying a NAS when I realized that I should just build one and kill 2 birds as I need a 2nd computer for things other than Crysis..lol. Anyway, opinions needed. I have everything on hand minus the motherboard.

Chaiyz

Great point Nzaneb!!!

Yes, maybe terrible was a bit harsh, but its a SLOW chip to do any of the work you listed. It would be better than not having a rig though.

I'd be tempted to say that even the low end Core 2 dual chips will murder the D965. It may be worth it to snag a cheap C2D and a newer chipset board. Not sure what the 965 would fetch if you tried to sell it. Although, I wouldnt be investing much in 775 arch. If you're trying to salvage a cheap system out of spare parts, I think you're taking the right approach. Even if it's not going to be the fastest, most efficient system... Like EarthDog said, any system will be faster than none.

If I remenber correctly, the EE965 (netburst) needs to be running about 4.0-4.1GHz to match performance with a Core 2 Duo (65nm) at 2.0GHz. I seem to remember those 900 series overclocked very well, so it could be fun to play with.

Well, now things have changed. It seems that this is not a D965 but a P4 EE 3.7 chip. So now my plans have completely changed. I have on hand several SATA HD's, 4GB DDR2 800 ram, a Antec 600W PSU and case and an elderly but fully functional MSI HD2600XT. As well as an Arctic freezeI7 which I bought on ebay for $3, 6.99 shipping..lol

I guess I'm going to spend the money on a new processor and MB. I'm looking at prices on pricewatch.com but I'm not sure how accurate that place is anymore.

So, what's the best bang for the buck these days? Is the Q6600 still a good choice or should I opt for the E8400's? I built a couple of E8400 machines not too long ago and was very impressed with the performance.

Every time I search the forums I find alot of old info and her it is Oct 09 and the steppings are all current I believe. I want to spend under $300 for both MB and CPU and am still a huge fan of ASUS but have built some budget ESC machines with very good results. I don't do Biostar and am not a fan of stock intel boards either. Any suggestions and if anyone needs a P4 EE 3.73 to use as a coffee cup warmer let me know.

Chaiyz

BTW, I'll be running CS3 on this machine in windows 7 and Ubunto Jaunty. May OC and want to build something that I will notice a huge performance increase over my current Dell E510 P4650..

I'll be using this as my main machine now.

Update, I love the edit button:

I checked pricewatch and the E6300's are like $82. Now I remember back in the day that they were basically the same as the E7400's and were great, not sure if this is the newer model or older model and really need someone with the stepping/current spec's to know what to buy. I'm also perusing newegg's openbox for an Asus P5Q but am up to any options. I'll make this fun. I'll take pictures and turn this into a real budget build that can be updated if anyone is interested. Also, digging thru my wares I found a 4850 from a customer that has some swelled caps and I'm going to go ahead and put new caps in tomarrow to see if I can get her up and running again.

Last edited:
I have that EE in my backup rig. It's 14x266 with a locked multi, single core with HT. Yes, you would be better off replacing it.

I checked pricewatch and the E6300's are like $82.

What you're probably looking at is the Pentium E6300, and not the Core 2 Duo E6300. They're two different CPUs. That being said, the Pentium E6300 is vastly superior - slower bus speed, but the same L2 cache size (2MB) and a 933MHz clock speed advantage from the outset make it an excellent deal. The Egg has them for $84, free shipping. That's definitely a good place to start, and leaves you plenty of cash for a motherboard.

There are plenty of good DDR2 motherboards for LGA775.
I just ordered one of these for myself for some Celeron OCing stuff. Cheap, and the P43 is a surprisingly effective chipset that clocks just as high as the P45 most of the time, but it just lacks things like Crossfire support and such...
I've always had great luck with DFIs, I'd have checked this one out if it'd been this cheap at the time!
Look around - P43 and P45 boards are everywhere, cheap, and often times overclock very well. If you keep it below $100 too, you'd have enough money for a good video card if you can't get that 4850 up and running, too!

Back