• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rAtEdX

Hello's!

I'm having the present problem:
When I try to turn on my x58 3xSLI MoBo with only the 24-pin power connected, I get the FF message from the Post LEDs. But when I "fully" power up the board and CPU, connecting the 8-pin ATX, the Post LEDs just won't show anything and apparently BIOS is dead (won't display anything on monitor).
I tried reseting CMOS with button and removing battery, trying one RAM at a time, stripping PC until bare minimum (CPU, PSU, RAM, Cooler), testing it on a wooden benchtop and nothing.
Board brand new! :bang head

Oh, btw, there is no OS on it.

Wondering if anyone had any insight.
Thanks in advance!

ps- Rig is:

- Intel i7 920
- eVGA x58 3 x SLI Mother Board
- CoolerMaster V8 CPU Cooler
- Corsair TX 850 W
- Corsair Dominator 6G (3 x 2) RAM 1600MHz
- Western Digital VelociRaptor 300G HD
- Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HD
- Diamond HD 5870 Video Graphics Card
- Asus 24" Monitor

I've been avoiding answering this since I don't have a Classified and have never used one, but since no one else has jumped in, the FF issue is apparently not uncommon on them. Google "evga classified FF" and/or search evga forums, there are plenty of others in the same boat and it seems like there's no exact cause nailed down. I've seen everything claimed from non-compatible PSU to bad BIOS chip connection to they just don't like random CPUs and everything in between.

There may be some workarounds or BIOS updates (maybe they can send a pre-programmed chip) on evga's site, but the most common "fix" for FF I've come across seems to be just keep RMAing them until you get a board back that works with your setup :( You should post in the evga forums and get some help directly from the horse's mouth. If nothing else, you'll have documented your problem and what you've tried if you need to RMA.

Back