• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EP45-UD3P loses BIOS settings every restart

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leonardo

I just upgraded a Socket 775 system (No. 2 in signature) to a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. I've been running it (Q6600) for over two days straight now at 3.2GHz. It's been completely smooth and steady running two Folding SMP (CPU) clients and two GPU clients. The problem is, every time I restart the system it throws out the BIOS settings. When I perform a restart, the fans stop, it clicks, fans restart, another click, fans stop...three boots before POST starts, at which I must enter the BIOS to restore settings. When I enter the BIOS, there is a red warning box informing that the computer unsuccessfully tried to boot to the previous settings.

The system does not do this on Fail Safe settings or default clock, 9 X 266, RAM on auto, 800MHz DDR. I flashed the BIOS to the latest non-beta release (F9) but the problem is unchanged.

Following are the settings I'm using for 3.2GHz. If not shown, I've left the setting at default or "Auto":

- 8 X 400 = 3200MHz
- Performance Enhancement: Standard
- G(MCH): Auto or 333MHz
- System Memory Multiplier: 2.00B -- the (G)MCH + Multiplier result in an 800MHz memory speed, which is the RAM's rated speed. I also used the combination of (G)MCH 333MHz and Multiplier 2.00B for the same result of 800MHz. (no difference in performance or in the restarting problem)
- Loadline Calibration - Enable
- CPU vCore: 1.4250 (power hungry CPU, had to use this voltage with the previous motherboard as well)
- CPU Reference Voltage: 0.800
- MCH Core: 1.400 (default is 1.100)
- DRAM Voltage: 1.90 (default is 1.80)
- PCI-e Clock: 100MHz

- Memory. Apart from setting the system memory multiplier to result in 800MHz (rated speed) and boosting the voltage by 0.10, I've not altered any settings. Timings are by SPD.

It runs beautifully with these settings, full load, 24/7, it just spits them out at every restart.

What gives? Is there a better BIOS version? Do I need to remove the CMOS battery for a couple hours? Is there an important setting I borked or left out?

Need more DRAM voltage?
CMOS battery going bad? But the power to the computer is never disconnected. ??

Last edited:
My Gskill requires 2.0 - 2.1 volts but the mobo set it to 1.8v - make sure that the DRAM voltage is set to it's spec -

I'll take a look tonight at the RAM. CPU Z reports all SPD settings to be 1.8v, but I'll check the RAM labels and experiment with higher voltage.

But if the RAM were undervolted, wouldn't it cause system instability and/or crashes? Once I get the BIOS take (once I reload it from the saved CMOS), the computer runs perfectly and stable under continual load. I'm not challenging you, just trying to wrap my hands around this.

I'll also be trying a new CMOS battery. That shouldn't be the cause, as the computer has the BIOS problems even when there is no interruption of wall power. But who knows.

The one thing that always seems to cause these boards to go into a "reboot loop" is the RAM. They seem to be very particular as far as what RAM is installed, and the sub-timings (one setting could be just 1 value off; for example tRTP is set to 5 instead of 6 or higher). Post a pic. w/ MemSet open showing all of the current sub-timings, and a direct link to your specific RAM. I believe that you'll also need the latest F10f BIOS revision, which helps w/ the reboot loop issue (if a rev. 1.1 of the board).

It's a Revision 1.0 board, but the F10F beta BIOS is also availble for the Rev. 1.0. I'll flash with it and give it a try.
Post a pic. w/ MemSet open showing all of the current sub-timings, and a direct link to your specific RAM.
OK, I'll do that if the F10F BIOS and a RAM swap from another computer don't fix the problem. But thanks in advance for taking the time to help me!

I'm a lazy overclocker, in that I usually keep RAM within rated speeds and leave all timings at SPD. But if I have to get into the nitty gritty for this particular motherboard, I guess I will. Who knows, this almost-old dog might learn something.

While I've got your attention, which RAM from other computers should I try first (all are PC2 6400): OCZ Gold 2.1v, Patriot 1.8-2.1v, or A-Data 1.8v? (sorry, I'm not at home and don't have the specific model numbers available)

Fixed. I guess yesterday night when I was experimenting with settings, I found the right mix, neglecting to test the computer before I called it quits and went to be. Anyway, this evening after dinner I restarted the comp to enter the BIOS. It booted smoothly into POST so I just let it run, crossing my fingers. I restarted it two more times and none of the three restarts resulted in a loop. I entered the BIOS after the fourth restart and all the settings were as I had left them yesterday night, which was the last testing I had done before starting this thread for assistance.

Anyway, here are settings for No.2. If not listed, the setting is either default, auto, or SPD:

Multi X FSB (8 X 400) = 3200MHz
FSB = 1600MHz; Memory = 800MHz
Performance: Standard
(G)MCH Multiplier: Auto
System Memory Multiplier: 2.00B
Loadline Calibration: Enable
CPU Core Voltage: 1.4250
CPU Reference Voltage: 0.808
MCH Core Voltage: 1.400
ICH I/0: 1.57
DRAM Voltage: 1.90
CPU Clock Drive: 0.800 (I think this is default)
PCI Express Clock Drive: 0.900 (I think this is default)

So now that things are straight and smooth at full load 3.2GHz, I'll work on a higher clock this coming weekend. I will be installing a Megalems, first.

Back