• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

790i vs P45/X48

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phatboygeo

Registered
Ive already got an ASUS P5Q-E but im looking for an SLI and ddr3 mobo but there is no definitive answer on which chipset is better for overclocking, would i get better than 4.1ghz on the asus rampage II formula with my q6600? Also is an x48 better than a p45 at overclocking my cpu?

x48/P45 for a 65nm quad core will oc about the same. P45 will oc dual core 45nm cpus thru the roof, sorta speak. X48 is more suited to ocing 45nm quad core better then P45. though it has been a while i might have that backwards.

now if you want to just compare ocing aspects of 790i VS P45/X48, always take a intel chipset based board. dont get me wrong NV based boards for intel have some nice features besides SLI. unlocked ram clocking is one major one i can think of and honastly about the only one. NV based board just need more nb voltage to oc vs intel. on top of that NV based NB's run hotter as well.

Honastly i would keep what you have and get just a single high end gpu. I wouldnt bother with SLI or CF, though i do happen to run CG atm. it is just to hold me off till prices drop a bit on the new ati 5000's. as there is no sense into buying 790i just for sli with your current quad core. as then with 790i you need DDR3 ram for it, at that point with a new mobo. You might as well just go AM3 or LGA1156 setup.

'spose, thanks, i might get my p4 540 ht out and give it a run for a laugh. personally i would prefer an core i9/7 setup but i5's are supposed to be good

not really much difference between LGA1156 vs LGA1366. only things really are DMI vs QPI and dual channel. i5's just dont have HT vs i7's, you can get i7's for LGA1156.

Back