• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are these bad voltages?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
Ok, I just got my digitaldoc5 in the mail today. I plugged it in and found out that, under load (SETI), my 5v line is reading 4.91-4.94. mbm5 says 4.84. This seems, to me adequate. The problem is in my 12v line.

digitaldoc says it's at 12.75V average. mbm5 is averaging abut 12.5. Is this a dangerous level for my 12v line to be at? At default settings, digitaldoc sounds an alarm at 12.6, so I'm a bit worried.

I am not certain here: I'd be concerned if it was mine too.
The only info I have from experience is this: Ihave systems running up to 12.35v for extended periods with no problems; something happened with my VP6 a little while back and I started showing 15.5v with a multimeter checking the psu @ 12.2. The VP6 ended up burning a trace on the mobo, still not sure what/why. None of the others have had any trouble at all.

Fingers are crossed.

When I get my new case in and my modding under way, I'm going to open up this psu and see if there is a dial to adjust the 12v line. Either that or downgrade myself from a 320w psu to a 300w psu.

I really don't want to buy another psu. Anyone know for sure what the tolerances of most things running off the 12v line are?

Back