• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob: My first OC attempt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captn_Howdy

I have a game I play, and it apparently uses only one core of my I7 920. This makes for lag at CPU intensive times. I need to OC my 920 to at least 3.4. I have fan cooling only with retail box CPU fan. Here are my system specs:
2 x PSU Silverstone ST1000/OP650
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 WS REV.
CPU: Intel I7 920
Memory 12 GB: Kingston KVR1333D3N9_2G
Graphics: 2 x Gigabyte GTX285 SLI
HD: 2 x Velociraptor 300 GB
LCD: Asus VK266h 25.5"
Case: Lian LI PC 75

I plan on getting Thermal-take Spin Q VT when it is released.

I need to learn the basics of overclocking, I have no idea or confidence in what I am doing. I'm messing around in the bios, and am in fear of damaging my system. Can anyone suggest a place to start OCing from. Example pics of bios would be much appreciated. Are there any books or material you can direct me too? What ever you can suggest would help. I'm a total noob.

Thanks in advance

First thing, DONT GO CRAZY WITH VCORE.
You have a Great CPU that can go up to 3.6 without ( or a little bit ) increase of vcore.
It is always recommended not to oc with stock cooler, i7 920 tends to get hot!
Great Motherboard for OC though, you will be able to find a lot of help here since a lot of people have it.
Copying somebody else's rigs could help, but always keep in mind that what can work for a system will not do its job in yours. Every system is different.
What i would recommend is increasing CPU BCLK by 5-10 mhz without change the voltage and see how it runs.
Use CoreTemp to check your temps and Prime95 to stress the CPU.
Notice that as you increase your CPU BCLK frequency it will automatically push up your memories, so don't go crazy with it and lower your memories if they go up much.

Software i would recommend is CPU-Z, CoreTemp, Prime95, LINX, Orthos..

OC is a test and failure process so be ready, but with that CPU you would not have much problems pushing up to 3.6.

Good luck!

PS: I remember your profile pick... i stopped the movie to see it and after that i couldn't sleep for that night lol

Back