• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 OC help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Landspeeder

Registered
Good day everyone.

When running at default speeds my idle temp is 38, my load temp is 68 on my 920 DO (after 5 hours of prime95).

When running at OC speeds my idle temp is 70, and I am afraid to go any further. What do you think is wrong with this OC?

-In both cases H2O temp is 32*C (current ambient is 21*C)

Temps are monitored via HWmonitor.

CPU Voltage: 1.35
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.96
QPI/DRAM Core: 1.35
DRAM bus voltage: 1.66
CPU Differential Amplitue: 800 mv
DRAM frequency: DDR3-1603
BCLK: 200
CPU ratio; 20 (same temperature results at 19 or 18)
C1E support: Disabled
C-STATE: enabled
Turbo Mode: Disabled
SpeedStep: Disabled

Cooling: fesser 480, 665 set to 4.5, 1/2 ID, Apogee GTZ SE, Bitspower NB/SB block, DangerDen full coverage 285 V2 block... currently fans are running at 100%, but I will decrease this soon.

What prime test are you running. At that same ambient, the loop in my sig yields low 60's for load temperatures on the small fft test.

The first major difference is that for 4GHz you are running 1.35v Vcore/uncoreto my 1.2-1.24v. That's going to raise you up to mid sixties low 70's right there.

Not sure if you've done it already or not, but you've increased Bclock so make sure you give yourself a few notches up on the IOH voltage to handle it. After everything else is in line, you should be able to lower your vcore/uncore to a lower stable level and shave off some degrees.

What RAM are you running? I can only assume that 1.66v VDIMM coupled with the fairly high QPI/DRAM is enough, but it wouldn't hurt you to raise the VDIMM a bit or loosen timings(just to fully remove it from the equation) untill you have dealt with everything else.

The P6T-D/i7 920 combination has been very simple to overclock in my experience, and most BIOS settings can be left on AUTO. It's really only the Vcore, QPI/DRAM, and IOH voltages that had to be increase(if only slightly) to get a 4GHz overclock to run stable. I had a C0 back then which required 1.42v to run 4.0GHz stable. The D0 seems to do it with only 1.2-1.24v for me, depending on the board.

Last edited:
The i7 runs hot. When running the Prime95 Torture Test for the old Athlon XP, alarm bells went off when the temperatures zoomed past 60° Celcius but I understand realistic OC threshold is now raised toward 90° for max stress when it comes to the i7 CPU.

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ASUS EAH4850 TOP Radeon HD 4850 512MB @ 680 MHz GPU & 2100 MHz Memory
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=595403

@ C627627 Good Call. Yes, I probably should have mentioned the fact that the OP is quite a ways from danger for i7 at their current temperature level, but I wanted to address the underlying issue rather than just say "you're fine". Seeing as they are running a superior loop to mine, and I am seeing almost 10deg less on the cores, I though that was fitting. Granted, I see they are running a GFX block in the loop as well, so that's a factor too.
OP, in general your temperatures do not indicate a problem other than you probably aren't seeing the temperatures you should with a loop like that. Given the BIOS parameters you listed, the problem lies in your voltages and likely nothing else.

Why don't you list a bit more about your system. TIM in particular, and your experience level with seating a water block, building loops and PC's.
Put it all in a signature like myself and C6.

70C idle is high. Have you checked your CPU block seating to make sure there's not too much or too little TIM?

Edit: Did you up the CPU PLL? Try turning it back to 1.8 or auto

Last edited:
70C idle is high. Have you checked your CPU block seating to make sure there's not too much or too little TIM?

Oh Crap! I saw the word "idle" above the bold text, but not IN the bold text! That's gotta be a mounting issue. Too much TIM, too little TIM or just forgot it all together. I've run that block with that board and I know there are no obstructions on the top of the PCB, but what about the back plate? Screw tension? OP, check all of this.

Also, does the temperature shoot up right away? Or is it gradual to a maximum? And for pete's sake, DL RealTemp and monitor your core temperatures that way so we're all on the same page.

Good catch nzaneb.

Thanks guys... The signature is waiting for my OC to stabilize.

System: Windows 7, Asus P6T Deluxe V2, i7 920 DO, Enermax Rev 85+ 1050w, OCZ Vertex 128 GB (OS HD), 3 HE1030UJ 1 TB Raid Class in raid 5, OCZ Gold 6 GB PC3 12800 (DDR3 1600), BFG GTX 285, Bitspower Black Freezer AIX58NS, Feser 480, Apogee GTZ SE, DangerDen 285 full coverage block, Bitspower D5/MCP655, Stacker 810, coolant distilled water w/ ptnuke and silver.

Ram Specs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227365
(1.65v at 8-8-8-24 ratings)

I am fine with the i7 running much hotter than previous chips, however my OC idle is much too high for my setup (thanks again for the DO voltage info baditude)

TIM = fresh creamy arctic silver 5.

Experience with building and O/C computers on air = very high (hundreds of systems built, many OC'd)... though this is my first i7 build at all.... I based my initial OC on bit-tech's guide (I am assuming they must have been running the CO)

Setting blocks = high

Building water cooled loops = this is my first one :)

Just looking at your current voltages, I'm curious as to why you need the VccPLL (CPU PLL Voltage) as high as 1.96v. The default PLL voltage is 1.8v on the P6T (which is the "typical" voltage for an i7), and the "absolute maximum" as spec'd by Intel is 1.89v. You really shouldn't need to go above about 1.84v w/ a BCLK of 200.

Keep in mind that my STOCK speed idle temp is 38 (after 4-5 hours), my load temp is 68 on my 920 DO (after 5 hours of prime95: torture test In-Place Large FFT).

nzaneb: I checked my seating immediately after my OC... everything is golden with my TIM (very thin layer but 100% contact)

baditude: The temp is at that level immediately with the OC (keeping in mind that the temp is at 38 stock). I'll install RealTemp tonight when I get home, as well as fiddle down the voltage and see what happens.

It's possible a 0.16-0.2V increase worked for them w/ a Penryn, but an i7 is a totally different architecture. I've seen BCLK values of 230 or more w/ the PLL voltage still at the default of 1.8v.

If your mount is good and your pump is running, then this problem is going to require alot more digging to get to the bottom of. Even with an i7, and even with the voltages you are using, you should be at least 25deg lower on your core temperatures at idle.

First things first, see what RealTemp and CoreTemp have to say. If it's still reading 70degC. at idle, then this will get interesting.

It's possible a 0.16-0.2V increase worked for them w/ a Penryn, but an i7 is a totally different architecture. I've seen BCLK values of 230 or more w/ the PLL voltage still at the default of 1.8v.

I actually run mine at 1.5 all the way up to 4.9ghz.

To OP 70c idle is very high even at 4.0ghz , I would double check all my cooling components.

Last edited:
I had time to run home over lunch and do a few quick changes.
All voltages went to auto except
CPU Voltage: 1.25
QPI/DRAM Core: 1.25
Set multiplier to 20 and BLCK to 190

Booted into windows and temp at 51-59 (depending on the core) in both HWmonitor and RealTemp... I'll run it idle for a few hours tonight before doing any load tests... but this already looks better to me.

thanks for the help and the promptness!

Well, it could be that there is just that much heat dump from your NB/SB and GFX blocks too, but if your CPU is the first block in the loop after a Feser Quad with decent fans, the rest of the blocks shouldn't be that much of a factor.

What is your loop order?
What kind of fans are you running?
Have you given yourself a little boost on the IOH voltage to help stability while increasing your bclock? You might want to do that. I normally require 1.3v on the IOH, which translates to +2 or 3 notches.
Other than that, your VTT and PLL should not require any tweaking for a 4GHz overclock.

Good day everyone.

When running at default speeds my idle temp is 38, my load temp is 68 on my 920 DO (after 5 hours of prime95).

When running at OC speeds my idle temp is 70, and I am afraid to go any further. What do you think is wrong with this OC?

-In both cases H2O temp is 32*C (current ambient is 21*C)

Temps are monitored via HWmonitor.

CPU Voltage: 1.35
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.96
QPI/DRAM Core: 1.35
CPU Differential Amplitue: 800 mv
DRAM frequency: DDR3-1603
BCLK: 200
CPU ratio; 20 (same temperature results at 19 or 18)
C1E support: Disabled
C-STATE: enabled
Turbo Mode: Disabled
SpeedStep: Disabled

Cooling: fesser 480, 665 set to 4.5, 1/2 ID, Apogee GTZ SE, Bitspower NB/SB block, DangerDen full coverage 285 V2 block... currently fans are running at 100%, but I will decrease this soon.

I dont think you need 1.35 with that CPU
What thermal paste are you using?
I would try a lower OC stable without increase vcore and then see what happens.

What is your loop order?
Res->pump->rad->cpu->nb->gpu->res. No kinks, good flow, only 1 90* bend.
Rad on the top of the case with the fans pushing air up and out.
Entire front of the case is a mesh. Bottom of the case is a mesh. 1 fan up front pushing in for the 3 raid drives. 1 fan on the lower top mount pulling air out just because.

What kind of fans are you running?
Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F (they were all new, unwrapped, and free)

Have you given yourself a little boost on the IOH voltage to help stability while increasing your bclock?
Not yet, I’ll try it soon and let you know the results

Here are the current results. After running idle for 9 hours (at 3.8 Ghz-with the fans on 100%)
CPU temp 43 (on max core). Gpu temp 34. Water temp 24*. Ambient case temp 21*

CPU Voltage: 1.24
QPI/DRAM Core: 1.24
Set multiplier to 20 and BLCK to 190
Memory loosened to 9-9-9-24

Another little update.... before I left for work this AM I restarted the PC as I had made some Windows changes (like disabling UAC)... I have noticed that the OS is sluggish but thought It had something to do with my OC (have yet to notch up the IOH)... When I restarted my temps where back up to the mid 50's at what I was assuming to be idle.

When I installed 7 the FIRST thing I did was then to install a firewall/antivirus... in this case comodo. Turns out when I start up the machine comodo is (obviously) running right alongside windows. As I did not want to stress test the monster until I had this temp issue solved I never though to look at the actual CPU usage... Turns out COMODO is using 85-95% of all 8 cores all the time... I checked the logs and it turns out that COMODO crashed last night right after I booted into windows, hence the lowered temps.

When I get home I will up the IOH, and uninstall COMODO (which apparently is going to take a safe mode boot). I think mid to high 50's for 85% PC use is pretty bloody good.

What are you guys using for a 7 antivirus/firewall? AVG? something else?

Instead of using Comodo or any other aftermarket firewall, the firewall that comes w/ Win7 is more than sufficient, and in fact better than most third party utilities. If you decide to install a third party firewall, make sure to disable the built-in firewall that comes w/ Win7. As far as a third party AV solution, use either Avira AntiVir or Avast!

Thanks redduc. The 7 firewall was disabled but I will re-enable it and take a look at the two antivirus programs you mentioned.

Back